price of steel

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"making steel"

Well not to burst anyones bubble but the only way to "make steel" is from
pig iron which comes from a BOF by way of a Blast Furnace.

Mini Mills make no steel.... they just take steel that has already been "made" and convert it back to steel that can be reconfigured.....

Melting scrap is great but please do not confuse it with making steel.....

The very best steel in the world is "made" in the USA....

Scary to think how little folks know about basic manufacturing.

I work in a steel mill. The real kind, with blast furnace, BOF, caster, and all the trimmings. We were purchased by the Russians 18 months ago. They shut us down in October last year. Of the 5 mills they own in our country, only 2 are running. Both are running at 100%. If they restart any or all of the other mills, supply goes up, prices and profit go down. Guess I'll just keep cutting wood and hunting deer for the foreseeable future.

I work in a steel mill. The real kind, with blast furnace, BOF, caster, and all the trimmings. We were purchased by the Russians 18 months ago. They shut us down in October last year. Of the 5 mills they own in our country, only 2 are running. Both are running at 100%. If they restart any or all of the other mills, supply goes up, prices and profit go down. Guess I'll just keep cutting wood and hunting deer for the foreseeable future.

Who bought you Arcelor/Mittal? I work for Nucor and all the mills are up but at 50% capacity.

He is talking Severstal and they actually "make steel"..

Nucor is a melter of scrap....

Nothing wrong with melting scrap but the product is not the same...

Correct, OAO Severstal bought us. Used to be WCI Steel, an independent mill, owned by the Rennert Group, bondholders out of NYC. The only mills we are running are Rouge River in Michigan, and Sparrows Point, in Baltimore. They also just restarted a cold roll shop in WV.

Oh Boy, kind of a atitude huh? Well when them "real" Steel makers can produce like Nucor and run a buisness like Nucor, then you can talk some **** ... I know Severstal, we did a building for them one of the biggest steel project that we have done, it sat in our yard for over a year we had to force them to take delivery of it. Now that management buy a multi-million building and then decide not to put it up:D

Gink you don't know the half of it....

The Severcorr facility (now Severstal Columbus) built with the "help" of the Nucor folks is nothing but junk. I can give you the details if you like. No real attitude on my part, just plain experience and fact.

Nucor slides by on mid quality melted scrap and on the back of a low paid rural workforce. It that works for you then that is great. They don't produce a product equal to the steel made directly from pig iron.

It takes all kinds of metal to make things go. I am just saying that companies like Nucor are not "steel makers".

I am pretty sure the one in Michigan is now known as Severstal Dearborn by the way.

So now that we have a fight goin (Jk). The real question is should I be saving all my scrap or giving it to the junk man next door. We dragged down an old Blanchard Milling Machine few weeks past. 8800lbs. Paid $618. Same day hauled a rotted out 69 C50 Dump truck and that only paid $375 (Docked for tires and ?). I think it is at $125 for Metric ton. Aluminum today was .24c a lb. If there is a real demand the prices will jump but I don't see anything happening soon. You guys are the insiders thou.

Several irom ore mines in Northern MN closed over the past few years and other cut way back but there is talk of a new one opening up. Public hearings were held about it this week. MN used to produce a lot of iron ore.

The Severcorr facility (now Severstal Columbus) built with the "help" of the Nucor folks is nothing but junk. I can give you the details if you like. No real attitude on my part, just plain experience and fact.

Nucor slides by on mid quality melted scrap and on the back of a low paid rural workforce. It that works for you then that is great. They don't produce a product equal to the steel made directly from pig iron.

It takes all kinds of metal to make things go. I am just saying that companies like Nucor are not "steel makers".

I am pretty sure the one in Michigan is now known as Severstal Dearborn by the way.

Sure I'll take all the details you want to give, That building didn't go up not because it was junk but for other reasons not related to what NBS did. I've worked for Nucor for 10 years and have made a lot of money doing so, where you get your info about that we are low paid rural folk is about as far skewed as it could be. Nucor does build in rural places becasue the work force is better. Here in the country you get farm boys that will work and show up everyday. I will bet you are a Union employee and Nucor being a non union steel company really pisses you and that is what your problem is.

In the 90's the average Nucor employee earned 60K a year, in small towns where the cost of living is cheaper than your Chicago's and such.
Yes Nucor is North Americas largest recycler of steel and Americas largest steel producer, calll it what you like but it is American Steel, while the old dinosaurs are struggling to keep above Nucor is still going strong. I think you are a bit off about your knoweledge of Nucor as a company and a Steel producer, more "Union" mentallity. Do a little research to prove you are right in this and I bet you will find what you say is false, and what you "think" you know isn't so:hmm3grin2orange:

http://www.forbes.com/forbes/2009/0511/081-executives-companies-business-test-of-mettle.html

More of how Nucor doesn't pay well.....Hahaha

America's Best 401(k) Plans of the Year
By Joe Mont, Yahoo Finance
December 10, 2009

Lockheed Martin, Southwest Airlines, IBM, Nucor, and Chevron are among companies that offered the best 401(k) plans this year.

BrightScope, a service that offers retirement-plan ratings and investment research, calculates its reviews with data from plan sponsors, the Department of Labor and the Securities and Exchange Commission. Its ratings system analyzes more than 200 factors and determines a score. Among criteria are plan costs, company generosity, participation rates, salary deferrals and investment-option quality.

Atop the rankings, which were restricted to plans with more than $1 billion in assets, is Saudi Arabian Oil's program for American employees, which earned a rating of 92.9 out of a possible 100. It was followed by the United Airlines Pilot Directed Account Plan, rated 90.6. Rounding out the top three was Wellington Management at 88.7.

Among plan features and company incentives used in the ranking were company contributions, including matching, profit sharing and stock bonuses. Saudi Arabian Oil, for example, matches 100% for up to 9% of employee contributions. The plans with the highest company contributions were United Airlines ($37,069 per participant), Wellington Management ($18,679) and Nucor Corp. ($15,598).

Those making the top 30 list have some of the lowest fees in the 401(k) marketplace. BrightScope's calculations include investment expense ratios and administrative costs alongside fund-level trading and transaction costs. Two of the plans on the list, those belonging to IBM and Exxon Mobil, have fees of less than 0.3%. Fifteen plans on the list are under 0.5%. The average is 0.57%.

The average participation rate among plans on the list is 94%, with Exxon Mobil obtaining 100%.

Companies with top 20 401(k) plans

1. Saudi Arabian Oil

2. United Airlines

3. Wellington Management

4. Southwest Airlines

5. Charles Schwab

6. ConocoPhillips

7. Chevron

8. Exxon Mobil

9. Credit Suisse Group

10. Amgen

11. Nucor

12. BP

13. Pfizer

14. Paccar

15. Cargill

16. Textron

17. Valero Energy

18. Freescale Semiconductor

19. McGraw-Hill

20. Bayer

BTW, Where is the company you work for rank??? :cheers:

Last edited:
Several irom ore mines in Northern MN closed over the past few years and other cut way back but there is talk of a new one opening up. Public hearings were held about it this week. MN used to produce a lot of iron ore.

There is a new one going up right now in northern Minnesota called Musabi Nugget or something like that we did alot of the buildings for them as well, they are owned by Steel Dynamics, another one of those mini mills:dizzy:

http://www.steeldynamics.com/index.php?page_id=118

Last edited:
Gink, I need a deal on some WF beams, how high up are you at Nucor? I need to buy 1000 tons in mid January, below 34.00 cwt. :D:D
I wasn't, and neither was anybody else, expecting a price increase. Possibly the mills are sitting quietly waiting for the warehouses to buy back after selling down their inventory this year. Warehouse price is much lower than mill price right now, odd because it's usually the other way around.

There is a new one going up right now in northern Minnesota called Musabi Nugget or something like that we did alot of the buildings for them as well, they are owned by Steel Dynamics, another one of those mini mills:dizzy:

http://www.steeldynamics.com/index.php?page_id=118

That is the one I heard about.

They just flattened a building next to me at work and I watched a lot of steel get crumpled and thrown into trucks for recycling. I saw a gantry crane beam that was built into the building get crumpled and that thing would have made 3-4 beautiful woodsplitter beams. :cry:

Gink, I need a deal on some WF beams, how high up are you at Nucor? I need to buy 1000 tons in mid January, below 34.00 cwt. :D:D
I wasn't, and neither was anybody else, expecting a price increase. Possibly the mills are sitting quietly waiting for the warehouses to buy back after selling down their inventory this year. Warehouse price is much lower than mill price right now, odd because it's usually the other way around.

Okay I just got off the phone and the best deal we can do is on some W40X328 and (1) W8X18:hmm3grin2orange:

Okay I just got off the phone and the best deal we can do is on some W40X328 and (1) W8X18:hmm3grin2orange:

Well crap, I was looking for 6 truckoads of W56x608's. Maybe next time, lol.

Well not to burst anyones bubble but the only way to "make steel" is from
pig iron which comes from a BOF by way of a Blast Furnace.

Mini Mills make no steel.... they just take steel that has already been "made" and convert it back to steel that can be reconfigured.....

Melting scrap is great but please do not confuse it with making steel.....

The very best steel in the world is "made" in the USA....

Scary to think how little folks know about basic manufacturing.

He is talking Severstal and they actually "make steel"..

Nucor is a melter of scrap....

Nothing wrong with melting scrap but the product is not the same...

Wow..... Nucor wrote the book on Mini Mills. No they do not "Make" steel but they like Steel Dynamics and others do recycle the Steel to produce ne usable products. Oh and by the way they too use pig iron in their mix to make a HIGH quality steel out the other end. Not to mention faster, cleaner, cheaper and all with "RURAL" employees! That by the way hold stake in the company they work for, or I should say work with! Unlike the union mentality the "COMPANY" represents all who are employed by it, from the bottom to the top. They all take ownership and they ALL work together. The big difference they don't worry about "WHO'S" job it is, or how much they are going to go on strike for. They worry about putting product out the door so their weekly production bonus is throught the roof!

Oh and the reason Severstal wants out is because they cannot be competetive in this country in the ancient busted up mills they bought!

DOWN WITH THE UNION!:chainsaw:

Wow, sounds like some was fed a double dose of his anti-union kool-aid this morning.

For the record, I do work for Severstal, but have never said if in a union or managment capacity.

That being said, I have never been able to figure out why non-union shops in any industry, steel, auto, etc, always seem to pay right around the exact same as a comprable union shop. For example, the guy assembling Honda's in Marysville earns about what the guy building Cobalts in Lordstown makes. Honda is not saddled with the "legacy" costs of union GM, yet they choose to not pay thier beloved employees more...puzzling, to say the least.

Wow, sounds like some was fed a double dose of his anti-union kool-aid this morning.

For the record, I do work for Severstal, but have never said if in a union or managment capacity.

That being said, I have never been able to figure out why non-union shops in any industry, steel, auto, etc, always seem to pay right around the exact same as a comprable union shop. For example, the guy assembling Honda's in Marysville earns about what the guy building Cobalts in Lordstown makes. Honda is not saddled with the "legacy" costs of union GM, yet they choose to not pay thier beloved employees more...puzzling, to say the least.

It is because us NON-Union shops produce as much if not more than Union shops with Half of the employees! As well as reaping the benefits of Profit sharing, Stock options, and so on and so on!

My opinion is the union has sucked the life out of Amerincan manufacturing..... That along with free trade! Not FAIR trade!

Latest posts

Back