Price to get lumber kiln dried

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laxin213

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello,

I had a friend of a friend mill some hard maple for me. These were some trees I took down on my land. Nothing special or fancy about them, but nostalgic value to me as a hobby woodworker. I've anchor sealed the ends and stacked it in my truck for now. I don't have a picture of all of it, but most boards are about 6' long, the stack is 4' wide and about 25" high. My rough calculations put it at about 600 bf.

I had a hard time finding anyone local to me (buffalo ny) willing to kiln dry it. I called several places and most don't offer their kiln to the public, or are too busy to take a smaller order like mine at this time.

The only place I found wants .60/bf. That includes them unloading, stickering, kilning, and the storage until they can kiln it (2 months or so) Is this a decent price? Thanks guys

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441762627.123116.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441762637.674986.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441762663.604659.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441763310.895781.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441762686.833047.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441762686.833047.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 7
I've always gotten it done with air dried wood, like the old days - Can't help you on pricing, but you should at the least get that lumber stickered [especially maple] as the mold is starting in that pile as we sit here.

I called around and got prices awhile back on kiln drying, and they were all over the board. I can't remember what they were asking off the top of my head. But, if there's only one guy who can do it, looks like you'll be paying his price!

Thanks guys. They have it stickered. Some surface mold has started. Once I get it back, can I just plane off that mold or will it discolor deeper into the wood? Will it disappear after kiln drying?

If it's in a dry place right now, the mold should stop. Depending on how deep it went, it might plane off. Running wet wood through a planer doesn't work well, it leaves a fuzzy finish, plus you're throwing all that mold up into the air. If you haven't found a kiln, at this point I'd just let it sit. Sugar maple is a tough wood to dry, as the bacteria has a feeding frenzy on all that sugar.

Hi guys, lumber is still at the kiln. I ended up finding a smaller local guy that kilns for .40/ bd foot. Thanks for the replies on what to expect too- we shall see.

Back