Prince George

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newbrunswick

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey fellas,

I've just lined up a gig in Prince George, a split between silviculture and engineering work. I've never been to PG but have been told it's "the perfect level of redneck" for me... which is almost scary.

Just wondering what y'all had to say about the area. Any thing helps!

Thanks,

NB

Hey fellas,

I've just lined up a gig in Prince George, a split between silviculture and engineering work. I've never been to PG but have been told it's "the perfect level of redneck" for me... which is almost scary.

Just wondering what y'all had to say about the area. Any thing helps!

Thanks,

NB
Not trying to disuade you from PG, but it's really 10 miles up the ass of B.C. It's mainly the industrial hub of B.C. No trees for miles around due to bug infestation. Probably one of the hardest hit areas. Go for it though, who knows what other doors it may open. The town itself is somewhat depressing, but if you live in the burbs it's not so bad, Lots of moose there if you like hunting.
Good luck and hope things turn out for you.
John

Not trying to disuade you from PG, but it's really 10 miles up the ass of B.C. It's mainly the industrial hub of B.C. No trees for miles around due to bug infestation. Probably one of the hardest hit areas. Go for it though, who knows what other doors it may open. The town itself is somewhat depressing, but if you live in the burbs it's not so bad, Lots of moose there if you like hunting.
Good luck and hope things turn out for you.
John

+1 ...go where the work is. You'll get good bush forestry experience there. Bring the bug spray!

Thanks gents,

nothing I haven't heard already. I've been coastal bc for three years now, I think the change up north will do me some good.

not in pg lol, did you get on with celtic/celtic. Hope your job pans out, tho weve been hit hard, shut down a big mill recently clear lake sawmill, and a few bigger companies like coyote called it quits people think things are gonna turn around fairly quick. I believe there are a few smaller sized towns north of pg that are more redneck, but for a 90,000 pop city its the most redneck lol. best of luck, oh yeah one thing enjoy the "nice clean air" and crime free streets, such a pretty town we have. lol

haha I got a ping! on my e-sarcasm detector. I actually got on with Industrial Forestry Services. I'm a fairly young pup and I've done a lot in my time on god's green earth, so I'm really interested in burying my head in my work, and stock piling up some money/ buying a few new toys.

haha I got a ping! on my e-sarcasm detector. I actually got on with Industrial Forestry Services. I'm a fairly young pup and I've done a lot in my time on god's green earth, so I'm really interested in burying my head in my work, and stock piling up some money/ buying a few new toys.

nice nice, thats what im doing saving up and biding my time, but you best to take some of that newbrunswick air and put it in some glass jars lol. As for buying new toys, pg is definetly not the place, all the dealers are way op, dodge is meh decent deal on new truck, dawson, even grand prairie(saved over 1000 from buying there than here on my yamaha) is best place for atvs and such. make sure to look around the dealers here(any item) are crooks more so than any other place. As for the logging around here, west of town has pretty much closed up no big trees left around, jobs are further and further out of town, all is pine kill

Well as far as toys go I'm looking for a used bike, something similar to a KLR 650. Then in the winter I'll be picking up another used truck... haven't thought about it much.

Thanks for the help. I'm a tech and am aware of the beetle kill situation. Hoping for lots of out of town camp/motel shows anyways!

Do you guys know any of the specifics to a typical site out there?

Thanks,

NB

Well as far as toys go I'm looking for a used bike, something similar to a KLR 650. Then in the winter I'll be picking up another used truck... haven't thought about it much.

Thanks for the help. I'm a tech and am aware of the beetle kill situation. Hoping for lots of out of town camp/motel shows anyways!

Thanks,

NB

Once the pine beetle is done, the annual cut will go down, but there is still lots of timber left east of PG. Bigger spruce and will be alot more grapple yarding as the ground is alot more broken and steeper out there. If the markets allow, heli as well. They took alot of timber out of there before the pine beetle epidemic, but they mainly just opened up the valleys and took out the easy stuff. The pine beetle ground is pretty flat, smaller diameter timber, easily logged with buncher/skidders or forwarders. Hope that helps.

Thanks,

NB

Once you step out of the truck on your first day you'll be thinking "WTF" ...they log this pecker wood especially coming form the coast. If you'd come straigt from NB to PG and missed the coast you wouldn't know any better.

IFS is a larger company with lots of drones. Coastal experience should get you higher up the the totem. Silviculture sucks so push your coastal layout knowledge and beg for timber development, other wise all you will be doing is pounding silly survey plots and / or packing a GPS for the summer.

Ground can be dry or it can be wet and black flies will rule your day!

Have fun :)

Back