PRO MAC 610 in my collection?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sehseh1

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I recently got this pro mac 610 from my father. it stopped oiling the first season he had it (15 or so years ago) and was put on the shelf in his shed till last week. some where along the way he was given a complete parts saw for it (also runs) to scab the oil pump out of. well it turns out all that was ever wrong with it was the oil pickup tube fell off in the oil tank. two hour rip down and reassemble and it works perfect. this saw is in new condition. even after sitting at least 15 years it starts with one or two pulls. it has a 20 inch bar. i cut with it last night and seems to be quite powerful . is this saw worth hanging on to or should i ebay it ?

if it were me i would keep it. i had a timberbear that i sold that I wish hadn't.
It should bring some good money on ebay being that unused.
got a picture?

if it were me I would keep it. Finding a saw that age, barely used is a good find. I wouldn't sell it, but if you do, let me know what you want, If I can afford it, I'll probably buy it from you.

Mac made the 610 and its variants for 20 years or so. There has to be literally millions of them out there and NOS parts are still available for them. Compared to more modern designs it's heavy, slow, loud, and sucks a lot of gas. 610's on Ebay are funny, some go for cheap & others go for way more than they're worth.

That type of saw, which includes several model numbers and names was arguably some of the most reliable saws ever made. At most any farm auction a person attends around here there will be a Mac 610 variant on the wagon of smalls that with almost no work will start and cut. Most every other brand and model of that era have long since been thrown away and forgotten about. They were sold by the train car load here and not because they were a cheapo saw, I'm thinking mine was over $200 in 1976 when I was making $2 an hour. The oilers are noted for being weak but mine just do what they are supposed to. The comparasons to newer saw qualities are true. Running my 610, 650 or Timberbear now and then makes me really like my Stihl 036 for weight noise and anti vibe but stick a 610 in a big ole tough knot and they will grunt with the best of 60CC saws I have ever been a hold of including said 036.

:stupid:

Keep it if you have room for an addition. My Stepdad has a Pro Mac 700, he has used it hardcore for about 20 years and NEVER cleaned it or did much maintenance. I recently cleaned it up for him and it was soooo nasty on the inside but ran like a champ. It was pretty impressive to see a saw run in that condition. The 700 cuts really well so I would think that the 610 would run strong also. If you keep the chain sharp, the weight of the saw will help with the cut ... at least in my experience (which is limited)

I think I am here in the minority! but I love my mac's, my 105 will cut through anything! I bought it in like new condition The guy I bought it from broke his back! in a accident and could not use the saw so he sold it to me it came with a pipe! as he was one of those crazy racer types! also as he was really serious about his saws! I don't want to butcher it as it has been a great saw and want to keep it original! I always drop by and talk to him as he is a wealth of information about saws . But he wants me to do this and that to the saw!Not sure as a firewood cutter I am ready, but this sight has turned me into a monster! But I'am sure I will keep my sp105 stock! I think I will buy a big ole sthil to play with.

I think I am here in the minority! but I love my mac's, my 105 will cut through anything! I bought it in like new condition The guy I bought it from broke his back! in a accident and could not use the saw so he sold it to me it came with a pipe! as he was one of those crazy racer types! also as he was really serious about his saws! I don't want to butcher it as it has been a great saw and want to keep it original! I always drop by and talk to him as he is a wealth of information about saws . But he wants me to do this and that to the saw!Not sure as a firewood cutter I am ready, but this sight has turned me into a monster! But I'am sure I will keep my sp105 stock! I think I will buy a big ole sthil to play with.

if you look at my collection, you'll see I love my macs also. ;)

pro mac pics

IMG_0089.jpg

IMG_0090.jpg

IMG_0091.jpg

2nd try on pics

she is still a little dirty from cutting yesterday. 20 in bar starts in 1 or two pulls
IMG_0090.jpg

IMG_0089.jpg

IMG_0091.jpg

this is the parts saw. it runs but only a 16 in bar. hard to start and wont idle. has tons of compression
IMG_0092.jpg

Here ya go 610 fans, a little low down on the most bad mouthed saw of all times.

These things sold for about $225 when they first hit the market,with a 20 bar but later sold for $169 at K-mart with a 16" bar,on sale.

They weigh in at 17.3 lbs or several pounds heavier than say an 038 Stihl.The oilers will oil any length bar the saw was designed to run,in this case a 28" but I don't recommend one that long.It does a 20" real well.

The oiler is a diaphragm type that works off of impulse pressure plus a thumb over ride.The flow is controlled by a screw,clock wise decreases flow and vica versa.You can find the oilers on e-bay from 10 bucks to nearly 30.I just bought 3 for 10 a pop,brand new.

If the auto portion of the oiler goes bad the saw will suck oil into the crankcase and plug the muffler screen,not good,tough on the piston.

They aren't a bad saw for 60 cc.They have what seems to be more grunt than most saws of that size and just a tad slower,rpm wise.
I've seen them on e-bay go from 35 or so bucks to 175.I got a real clean one for my son for a tad less than 50,with shipping.It required a new ignition,about 30 bucks from Fayetteville.Not bad,$80 for a saw that most likey will last 30 years with proper care.My personal 610 is that old and although not used much,still is a good runner.

Edited after thought: Often times the rewinds get over wound which causes the spring to bind and non retraction of the pull rope.A real nuisance .Of the many I've worked on,this plus the oilers and the ignitions are the most prevailing problems other than gummy carbs and broken fuel lines.

Last edited:
I think i will keep her

sounds like more good than bad so i think i will keep her. i dont think you can have too many saws i just diddent want to keep anything that is not worthy.
should i try and fix up the parts saw?? oil pump and carb work maby a fuel
line cant see stripping it when it will still start.
:greenchainsaw: :greenchainsaw:

Sure 'nough.A carb kit is less than 10 bucks,about 15 for the oil pump,with shipping [still on e-bay,I think the guy had about a hundred of them].

News flash,he has 597 of them for $9.95 each ,search "McCulloch oiler",it looks like the 3 I bought was deducted from the original 600 on hand.

Most likely no need for a carb kit. Out of the (20 or more) saws that I've taken from something that looks like junk to a good running machine, I've never bought a carb kit. I just take the carb apart carefully, clean everything and re-assemble. Unless a diaphram is like ripped apart or something, no need for a kit ... IMO.

I'd just clean the carb and I bet it will run. Assuming that it also has spark ... A new fuel line definitely won't hurt and I'd clean the fuel filter while you're at it.

I just picked up a 610 for a good price the other night, how it works out, unknown running condition. fingers crossed......:biggrinbounce2:

found timberbear for sale

there is a timberbear for sale at a local pawn shop. they want 120 for it. What is the going rate for one of these? and is it worth it if it's in good condition. Couldn't find much on evilbay to let me get a good idea what they go for.

old macs

i have one coming i am planning to see if i can get her to run. i fixed one up to sell on ebay . iam asking $160.00 including shipping. i like the older saws they were:) made in the USA no in china or ?????????????:) it is worth keepin they are slow loud and heavy like a saw should be:biggrinbounce2: just my beer monies worth.:greenchainsaw:

Sold mine about 6 mo. ago but prior to selling it needed to cut some oak. Installed a 18 " bar & opened up the muffler. It still ripped like a mother . Hi.

Latest posts

Back