Pro Saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I found out from a friend who purchased an echo 490 refurb from home depot that home depot has its employees in rental check some of the equipment and not usually the guy that does technical services. His saw had a nasty rattle and a very fubared chain when he got it.

I found out from a friend who purchased an echo 490 refurb from home depot that home depot has its employees in rental check some of the equipment and not usually the guy that does technical services. His saw had a nasty rattle and a very fubared chain when he got it.
That doesn't sound good at all. My guess is refurbished is a gamble,maybe 50% chance of getting something decent. It may be a good idea to immediately pull the muffler and check the piston and return the saw if it doesn't look good. If I'm not mistaken, I think Home Depot gives you 30 days to return for a full refund.

I bought a refurb poulan pro and it didn't run and took a bit of messing with to get it right. That being said I was using my small green poulan this weekend ''36cc" to try to get rid of a ash stump. At 120 psi compression it still pulled the 14" bar completely burried in the stump against the grain for a good while, about an hour. You could feel the heat. That's the only saw I'd use for dirty work like that, bar in the dirt. It's got the safety chain too. My dad always complained about the new homelite he has which was the same as the royobi and a copy of my poulan. I gave him my poulan pro. I think my little wood shark is a better saw than the Chinese copy. It has taken more of a beating than a cheap home owner big box store saw should.

I bought a refurb poulan pro and it didn't run and took a bit of messing with to get it right. That being said I was using my small green poulan this weekend ''36cc" to try to get rid of a ash stump. At 120 psi compression it still pulled the 14" bar completely burried in the stump against the grain for a good while, about an hour. You could feel the heat. That's the only saw I'd use for dirty work like that, bar in the dirt. It's got the safety chain too. My dad always complained about the new homelite he has which was the same as the royobi and a copy of my poulan. I gave him my poulan pro. I think my little wood shark is a better saw than the Chinese copy. It has taken more of a beating than a cheap home owner big box store saw should.
When I accidentally hit dirt or cut dirty wood. I wash my bar and chain with water NO soap. Water gets dirt off leaves oil. I've actually dipped the tip in a 5 gallon bucket and reeved the engine. Then out of water reeved to dry and check for oiling. Wouldn't recommend it for electrical saws. The water dries complete on my gas saw because it's used after the baptism. Good day.

I guess I should keep my Craftsman 4218 that a friend found in a basement 10 years ago after he moved into a house. He gave it to me and said, "Won't start. It's all yours." I fixed it and it runs today.

But, would I have bought one new for $160 or so back then? No entire way.

I guess I should keep my Craftsman 4218 that a friend found in a basement 10 years ago after he moved into a house. He gave it to me and said, "Won't start. It's all yours." I fixed it and it runs today.

But, would I have bought one new for $160 or so back then? No entire way.
Well Home Depot no longer has Refurbished Ryobi 37cc 14 inch bar available. New$ 109 + tax.
Next time I'm in Bossier I'll see if there's one unboxed. I kinda wanna feel it in my hands, pick it up, see if it's actually Ligh enough for me. I can get a 33cc 14 inch Poulan about the same price. The Poulan warranty for consumer is 1 year 3 for Ryobi. Echo is 5. Maybe Ryobi is that somewhere near the middle quality saw? That is what warranty would imply.

Latest posts

Back