Problem with free standing wood stoves

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fireplace installers?

Glad you mentioned science. Here's the outdoor air myth exposed:

http://woodheat.org/outdoor-air-supplies.html

That article is talking about smoke spillage into the room from inadequate draft and depressurization of the house. There is no down side to outside air going into a stove. If there was why is every single gas furnace made today use outside air? And BTW, what are they, 96-97% efficient.

A stove without outdoor combustion air creates a 500CFM of air that must be reheated to room temp. When it's -20, heating makeup air up 90 degrees is a lot of energy, i.e. cold drafts.

A stove without outdoor combustion air creates a 500CFM of air that must be reheated to room temp
I'm curious where the 500cfm value comes from - when my stove is running at max output during secondary combustion, the total inlet area is maybe the size of a quarter. It's hard to imagine pulling 500cfm through that.

I'm curious where the 500cfm value comes from - when my stove is running at max output during secondary combustion, the total inlet area is maybe the size of a quarter. It's hard to imagine pulling 500cfm through that.

My point is the air has to come from somewhere.

From this article, I quote:

A: A wood fireplace consumes a VAST amount of oxygen, and the chimney updraft simultaneously vacuums a HUGE amount of both burned and unburned air out of the house. This evacuation of air is known as the chimney flow rate, and it is measured in cubic feet per minute (cfm). A typical open fireplace with a brisk fire burning will create a flow rate of somewhere around 500 cfm out the chimney, which is enough to totally evacuate the air from a 1,000 sq.ft. house every fifteen minutes. Meanwhile, replacement air must squeeze in through tiny openings around doors, windows, etc.. If the house doesn't present enough openings to the outside atmosphere to allow static pressure stabilization, the atmosphere inside the house will remain at a lower pressure (and a lower oxygen level) than the atmosphere outside the house as long as the fire is burning. The tighter the house, the more pronounced the effect.

https://chimneysweeponline.com/hooa.htm

My point is the air has to come from somewhere.

From this article, I quote:

A: A wood fireplace consumes a VAST amount of oxygen, and the chimney updraft simultaneously vacuums a HUGE amount of both burned and unburned air out of the house. This evacuation of air is known as the chimney flow rate, and it is measured in cubic feet per minute (cfm). A typical open fireplace with a brisk fire burning will create a flow rate of somewhere around 500 cfm out the chimney, which is enough to totally evacuate the air from a 1,000 sq.ft. house every fifteen minutes. Meanwhile, replacement air must squeeze in through tiny openings around doors, windows, etc.. If the house doesn't present enough openings to the outside atmosphere to allow static pressure stabilization, the atmosphere inside the house will remain at a lower pressure (and a lower oxygen level) than the atmosphere outside the house as long as the fire is burning. The tighter the house, the more pronounced the effect.

https://chimneysweeponline.com/hooa.htm
Ok, but there is a vast difference between an open fireplace and a modern wood stove. The make-up air requirements for our stove are minimal.

Not a problem for us as our place will never be that sealed, and I don't regard a sealed house as healthy anyway.

...total inlet area is maybe the size of a quarter.
WOW‼ A total inlet area the size of a quarter??
My PE has an inlet about 3-3½ inches‼ And that's just the primary‼ The secondary has its own inlet. Heck, even at its minimum setting the half-moon opening of the primary will have an area larger than a quarter‼

florid5.jpg

Mine is a tube about the diameter of a half dollar with holes drilled along its length that feeds air to my stove...but I do have a smaller stove.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G730A using Tapatalk

Mine is a tube about the diameter of a half dollar with holes drilled along its length that feeds air to my stove...but I do have a smaller stove.
This is the total air inlet for our stove, both primary and secondary:
IMG_6045-800.jpg
Here is where it sits normally during secondary burn - it's a lousy picture but you get the idea:
IMG_6050-800.jpg

Latest posts

Back