Problematic MS661

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry to hear of the issues some are having with their saws.

It sounds like you're all on the right track. That said I am surprise that some of these saws can't seem to compensate. I mean fuel quality, oil quality/quantity, air temperature, filter cleanliness and elevation are all going to effect the amount of air going through the engine. IMHO these systems should have been developed with this in mind. I know most seem to really like their Mtronic/AT saws and my 261 ran fine it's first time out, but I personally would stay away from theses saws if reliability is a big concern, just too may issue big and small. Having to swap out filters just to get your saw running correctly is what it is, somewhat comical.

Another thought, maybe they're setup not to be messed with, in the name of keeping emissions down.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

-O- Problems on the ones I've had, including a First Generation from 2013. Very good saws. And I don't talk about a saw I don't personally own and haven't pushed hard.

Critiquing a product without ownership is what I find comical lol.

I've actually put a couple of tanks through this particular saw and other than the "on occasion" millisecond stumble she runs very strong. I could put up a whole lot of production with this saw in a day.

Let's not toss the baby out with the bath water, especially since this saw has been pretty well modified to begin with. If I wanted another 661 and this saw was for sale it would be more than welcome to come work with me.

Looks like a good running saw overall. Have you played with the meeting lever hight, or the pop off pressure? Brad lowered the meeting lever in a 441 and it seemed to do the trick. I had a local tree company's 362c the other day that had a bad bog to it, lowering the lever hight seemed to almost complete eliminate the issue.

I think with time we'll learn to work around the constraints the manufacturers and the epa has givin us. Hopefully real fuel injection is just around the corner, electronically controlled carb's are not the answer!

I believe this is more of a carb issue than electronic. I've had these symptoms in newer standard carb saws as well, all do to how lean they sometimes have to run. What's hurt the most is the transition from idle to wot. I believe full fuel injection will eliminate the problem. Electronically controlled carbs are an oxymoron. The application failed automobiles as well.

Try placing something under the meeting spring for more resistance. If that doesn't work cut a loop out of the spring. After that I start thinking about altering the throttle plate notch, but that can get you into trouble fast if you go too far.

To me, its rather simple.
The stock 661 is known to alter the shape of the bellows intake at WOT.
Thats pretty telling right there !

To me, its rather simple.
The stock 661 is known to alter the shape of the bellows intake at WOT.
Thats pretty telling right there !
At wot, or during acceleration do to the sudden vacuum? Reinforcing the bellows shouldn't be all that complicated, and believe me it's been done before.[emoji6]

At wot, or during acceleration do to the sudden vacuum? Reinforcing the bellows shouldn't be all that complicated, and believe me it's been done before.[emoji6]
At WOT ............. but not when piss revving, only when cutting.
The bellows intake on the 661 is re-enforced within the bellows itself with those 2 fandangled rubber washers.

I believe its more that the carb cant react to the HUGE vacuum - then the sudden throttle chop just leaves the carb in such a state that it cant respond quickly enough ............ the fuel puddling is the result.

Run a 661 @ WOT during a large cut, then chop the throttle as the chain breaks through ............ she winds down, then when she is close to idle, she picks up RPM like a vacuum leak for a split second, then it idles fine.

Mine lost the stumble when the restricted POS HD2 was gutted and the Max Flow was installed .............. funny thing was that the bellows intake stopped deforming too ......... it used to suck in a little between the carb plate and the bellows with the stock HD2 @ WOT in the cut.

I too believe that Stihl should have done better with the 661, but I dont mind getting to the bottom of the mystery that mine had ................. it was unknown territory on a new saw, and the problem on mine has been alleviated. She runs like a pizzed off bull now !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back