Problematic MS661

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well do we take the saw in and get the stuff updated or run it and hope it doesn't puke?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I would just pull out those pesky washers from the intake bellows.

Thats what I did to mine. After a long idle time, its got a pretty good stumble, but it clears up quickly. If I feather the throttle slowly, no stumble. Fuel is puddling in the bellows, the straight intake fixes it.

I would rather deal with the stumble after idling that have the washers block off the intake, but thats just me.

I had the original style intake boot on the junk heap 661 I had first.... It didn't have any washers.

Funny you say about the long idle and stumble. It seemed like that's what would kill that first 661 I had. Let it idle for 40 seconds while your clearing the butt of a tree and and pick it and squeeze the throttle and it would look like a DDT fogger and out just couldn't get over the bog once that happened.

I had the original style intake boot on the junk heap 661 I had first.... It didn't have any washers.

Did you look for them, or fish for them (hook them and grab them) ?

You wont see them if they are in there where they belong, but you can hook them and pull them out. Thats what I did with mine

Hell I had the hole boot off hunting them. No dice.

I would talk to the dealer and ask him if he can order you a straight boot for it, run it untill it arrives
You might grow old and grey waiting for it though :laugh:

Nahhh no talking to the dealer. We're going to run the guts out of it like all our other saws and if it gives up the ghost it'll get replaced. My dealer and I aren't really seeing eye to eye rite now after the run around with my other saw.

Run the hell out of it. If it messes up, contact Stihl directly. Its the only way they're going to get this saw straightened out. And since you make your living cutting trees, always have a 660 close by.

Anyone around Johnstown PA have a ported 661 I could cut a few pieces with?

Anyone around Johnstown PA have a ported 661 I could cut a few pieces with?

If you wanna ride to blairsville the first 3 weeks of novemeber you can absolutley do some cuttin with ours.

I may have another squeezed in from brad by then too , blairsville isnt too far west from johnstown.

Might hit one of you guys up on your offers. I'm cutting a piece of timber in sidman...... I can look across the way and see the last mtn you go over on 22 west just before you drop into Blairsville.

Might hit one of you guys up on your offers. I'm cutting a piece of timber in sidman...... I can look across the way and see the last mtn you go over on 22 west just before you drop into Blairsville.

Theres really no wood there that justifies 90cc..but you could get an idea i suppose , A guy by me is startin to do some saw porting after bein into 2 stroke bikes for years..hes gettin pretty good at it and did pretty good on my buddys 661 , If you wanna come down a certain day lemme know and ill make sure to take one if you wanna give it a spin.

This 661 still continues to give me issues. I installed the straight walled intake boot and it still did it. I then replaced the piston to get of the extra intake port timing I had given it by trimming the skirt. It's still doing it. I'm out of ideas. The carb has been swapped. The coil had been swapped. Nothing fixes it. I guess I'm just one of the lucky few. A standard carb goes on next!

Is this the one that is stumbling at throttle tip in ?

Same exact trouble as I had Brad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back