Problems with a Stihl 020 AVP Electronic Quickstop

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark71GTX

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I got a Stihl 020 AVP Electronic Quickstop from my dad a few months back. I wanted a couple of project saws and this is one of 3 I picked up (already fixed the Super XL and parted the mangled 028). I am not getting any spark with this saw. I pulled the coil and module piece that was mounted on it. I don't know how to tell if one or both of them are bad. The kill switch was missing on this saw. I bought one on Ebay and it was for a newer saw I guess - since it had a mounting hole in it where my housing has no provision. I have read a lot of bad things about this model saw and I don't want to waste a bunch of money on it if it is not going to work. I would be interested in how to check the coil and module and would be interested in some reasonably priced parts to fix it with. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Will an 020T coil work or will I have to use one from an 020AVP? Do I really need that "extra" module looking piece and is it built in on later model coils? What is the difference between the AV, AVP, and T? Thanks!

No the newer 020 saws are not compatible with the old one, and 95% of the time the trigger unit is to blame. The trigger unit 1118 400 1001
will work, it is the same trigger as on the 009,010,011,015,030,031 saws to make them electronic....

Well, I bought the trigger unit and it sparked, but would not run. I rebuilt the carb and replaced the fuel line. Then it fired right up! I started to adjust the carb and it knocked off. I tried to start it back and it would not start. I figured it was flooded so I put it back in the barn for the night. I went back to it a frw days later and it still wouldn't fire up. I pulled the plug last night and pulled the starter rope with the plug grounded and I don't have spark. To be sure the trigger unit didn't fail that quickly? Is there a coil that doesn't use that stupid thing? Thanks!

Latest posts

Back