Problems with my 361.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anthony_Va.

XPW Fan Club
Reaction score
Well it just started doing this just today. When I pull the starter rope the chain turns. It's like the clutch was engaged even when the saw was'nt running. I could push the decomp and turn the chain by hand and hear it decompressing. What I'm saying is, I can turn the engine over by turning the chain.
I got it started and it started just the same as usual. I went ahead and cut up some wood with it and noticed that after it was hot that it was working fine. So awhile ago, after it had sat a few hours and cooled off, that it was doing the same thing again.
What is the deal here? I've never had a saw do that before so if any you guys know whats wrong here, let me know please.

When did you last service the clutch drum needle roller ?

They do require some lovin sometimes ;)

Pop the drum off, wash the needle roller out thoroughly with some brake cleaner or similar, re-grease the rollers, clean the shaft and give a very light smear of grease, spray the drum out with brake cleaner and inspect the shoes of the clutch to make sure one hasn't broken and is causing the problem and reassemble with a new E clip.

I have never had the drum off. ;)
I will get on it tomorrow. I figured it was something with the clutch. I was going to take it apart today but did'nt really have the time.

The chainbrake will kill the engine. The chain was also spinning pretty quick at idle, and it's idling where it should be. I can stick the chain into the wood at idle and kill the engine too.
Thing was normal after it warmed up good though.:msp_confused:

tdi-rick: Thanks for the tip man!

I havent had time to tear into it yet. I have to bust a load of wood and I'm going to get into it when I get back. I'll post back when I get it apart.

I have never had the drum off. ;)
I will get on it tomorrow. I figured it was something with the clutch. I was going to take it apart today but did'nt really have the time.

The chainbrake will kill the engine. The chain was also spinning pretty quick at idle, and it's idling where it should be. I can stick the chain into the wood at idle and kill the engine too.
Thing was normal after it warmed up good though.:msp_confused:

tdi-rick: Thanks for the tip man!

Have you tried to adjust the idle screw?

Have you tried to adjust the idle screw?

Yea the idle is spot on. But I did try adjusting it. It's just that the chain is turning with the motor. Pretty much what I think is going on is, the clutch is engaged even at idle. I can stick it to the wood to stop the chain and it kills the engine. The clutch is stuck engaged. :confused:

I can also turn the chain by hand with the saw off and decomp pressed and hear it decompressing. So the motor is turning when I'm turning the chain.

Yea the idle is spot on. But I did try adjusting it. It's just that the chain is turning with the motor. Pretty much what I think is going on is, the clutch is engaged even at idle. I can stick it to the wood to stop the chain and it kills the engine. The clutch is stuck engaged. :confused:

I can also turn the chain by hand with the saw off and decomp pressed and hear it decompressing. So the motor is turning when I'm turning the chain.

Yes, it most likely is a clutch issue.

LOL! I had to do a double-take myself. Ran it again awhile ago and still the same. :msp_angry:

Let me run to Lowes for a minute and we'll get into her.

Sooo what was the diagnosis??? Broke spring or bearing problem or...what???
Just curious..had this happen on an Echo..slung shoe got wedged in clutch housing
Bes2ya!
J2F
:cheers:

Problems with a 361 no way!!! :msp_ohmy:
I take the drum off pretty often and grease that bearing and inspect.

Problems with a 361 no way!!! :msp_ohmy:
I take the drum off pretty often and grease that bearing and inspect.

JJ...if you would go back to post #4...you would see...he's never had the drum off

"I have never had the drum off."

Thus my interest in what the final diagnosis was and the fix.

I "think" Stihl has lifetime guarantee on all it's clutch shoes ???
Bes2ya!
J2F
:cheers:

Last edited:
The 361 blues. Usually played on a 1961 Gibson EBo with a harp.

You say it don’t run well
Got no power at all
It’s like drivin’ Miss Daisy
Only slower, down to a crawl

Wont idle at gun point
And you fit to be tied
But what do you expect?
When it sais “stihl” on the side

Now up in the bucket
Stihl floods out again
If it don’t make me some money
Saw is going to be chow mein