processing of log length firewood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
logdog.jpg

Use some chains, & choke hook.

Leave one end still on the pile so you can block underneath and start cutting.

Pick Up Truck works fine, just go slow, cut and load.

I was gonna suggest putting that beast to work too!

First off quit listening to these dudes that are sayin wait till the snow melts. WTF!! If I did that I'd a been froze to death by now! Get it sanded up good around yer pile and start cuttin from the uphill side like mentioned.
Nice pooch by the way(and the uncropped ears), they are awesome dogs, ours is gonna be 10 in a few weeks. :)

DCP_0006.jpg

Yes it is. that pic was from 4 years ago, he won't see 11 I don't think.

Cut the wood from the uphill side pete. ;)

thats the worst part bout havin a great dog. my old dog is about 15 got him when i was about five. hes smart enough to stay a lil behind and to the right of me when cutting >.O

lol i wouldnt cut in the snow why cut frozen wood in the snow, its far easier to cut wood that isnt frozen not to mention slippery conditions.

Maybe your not familiar with the weather here but it is a lot easier to cut in the snow on frozen ground than it is in the mud. We just had 2 days over 40 degrees for the first time since October and the top couple inches of ground is all mud (although still frozen underneath). It's supposed to get colder again which as far as I am concerned will be better for cutting/splitting. I have 3 cords put up for next year and I need to get at least another 3 done to be all set for 2010. The rest can wait till early summer or later when the ground dries up as that is for 2011.

I cut a pile like that every year. My terrain has a bit more slope. There are three steps:

1. Grab your saw
2. Start your saw
3. Start cutting from the uphill side :clap:

Last edited:
Log length splitting

Found the best method is to purchase a Hands Free Logsplitter and sit in your skid loader and let it do all the work.

That load would take me a half hour and then I pick them up and cut to lenth over my bed of truck and call it a day

Your two days of back labor in a half day of mine

Yes some will say it cost alot for all the equipment but I think my back is worth it.

Besides since I showed my 74 year old mother how to run the skid loader I havent had to split a lik of wood.

Just a thought

I wouldn't cut until you flatten it. Looks a little dangerous to me.....Anybody mention using a peevey? Wouldn't want that pile to shift on you while you cut it.....get the peevey

Just wondering...did a shifting log pile provide you with that name?

Actually no....I had a motocross accident and I broke both of my femurs and a ton of other bones. But to break not only one, but both of the strongest bones in your body is worthy of a nickname I guess. Always used the peevey lol :cheers:

Actually no....I had a motocross accident and I broke both of my femurs and a ton of other bones. But to break not only one, but both of the strongest bones in your body is worthy of a nickname I guess. Always used the peevey lol :cheers:

Wow your lucky...hopefully you made a complete recovery. I'm a FF/Medic and we had a guy last summer in a motorcycle accident who had a compound fracture of his femur that severed his femoral artery and did not make it.

I'd not bother moving the logs at all, if it were my pile. I'd pick a log on the pile, cut the rounds to length, then lift them off the pile. Then the next log, and so on. Works great, requires no heavy machinery. If you have a helper, he/she can grab the rounds after you cut them, and you'll have the pile taken down in no time. This is what I've done when the logs that get loaded in the trailer are too heavy to lift by hand, and it seems to work fine.

I would lay some logs down beside the ones under the pile to roll a couple logs onto , just come up to the pile at an angle so your not right in front of it with your loader bucket , catch a log with the bucket and back up , down a few will come and right on to your logs that you placed in front. Now there up off the ground and easy to buck !!!

the one thread i dont read and i got mentioned in it!

the leaf springs are cheap easy and fast, feel free to ask any questions on that topic.

as far as tackleing that pile, fire up the saw a go. admittedly ive run log loaders and cut firewood in situations like this for long enough that i can read a pile of wood. i can see when things are under tention, i can tell when they will roll etc. a peavey is awful handy. i cut until i cant cut another stick without the pile rolling on me, pick up all the little peices, then roll the pile down by hand. and start from square one.

next year mabey you can ask the trucker to spread the wood out a little more for ya.

Just got and worked a pile like that. I just cut on the pile mostly. Started on one end and worked my way down. Pulled them off when they got unstable. Never got the tractor out, but don't have a fel. Hell, you would already be done if you hadn't spent so much time planning:). As always just use common sense, and the bruises on your shins will fade soon. Working the pile is better than having to roll every log to keep your saw out of the mud. It seems kind of weird when you tell another man "nice pile", but it is.....Lanny:rock:

Last edited:
Back