Production

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darin

No Longer Here
Reaction score
Do most feel that having modified a standard saw that it gives you that much more production. Do you feel your saw wears faster after modding it? Does the production out weigh the cost of the saws wearing faster if so? What situations is it good/bad to have a modded saw? I don't have one so I am interested.

In all acuality, a slightly modded saw should outlive a stock one, as it will run cooler. The longgevity issues come from opening the ports to extremes, it wears the rings faster. The highr RPM is a toss up, the motor breathes better, flows better and is happier, so it shouldn't affect life of the saw much?
The increased production is well worth it!! Going from seeing a stock saw, to running a fully modded saw there is no comparison! The biggest complaint I have with the 046 is fuel usage. With the BB kit it is thirsty!!! I can empty a tank in 15-20 min. depending what I am cutting. But I can cut twice as much wood in that time as well. (Comparing my 350 to the 046) The only saw I now own that isn't modded is my old 350, its my backup, and I don't want to mess with old reliable, saved my butt to many times!!
I would encourage anyone to mod thier saws, at least muffler mod them, it just makes the saw happier!

The only modified saw that I have alot of hours on in the woods is my old 260. Production is up with that saw. I now have two new 246 Huskies, one stock and one mod. I know that no two saws are the same but these were very close when stock. When it warms up I plan on seeing how they compare day to day.

I tend to stick with muffler mods, and I have nto noticed any shortening of saw life - indeed I agree with statements above - it probably will add life to the saw as it runs cooler...

I think where a modded saw would be noticably faster for production is where you are making a lot of cuts or cuts in big wood. But if you're logging, it wouldn't seem like the "end of the day" production would be much better, seein's how you spend so much more of your time (on the average tree) limbing and walking than you do with the saw dogged into a cut. The reason most loggers run modded saws is to have a saw that performs like the next model up without the weight, something that will help your efficiency in limbing and walking.

mods

wanting to heat up my 372xp but wondering
bearing wear is this critical also why cant you get big bore kits
now my saw is over three years old cut tons and tons and tons
runs like new but maybe even better broke in . does this mod make
a big diff and is it really 385 jug and pis i truthfully just got hooked
on the idea cant helpit its probably my ego:hmm3grin2orange:

I put a muffler mod on every saw to get rid of what I call the 'Jake Brake' effect of a muffler that is choking down the exhaust. EPA it seems is more interested in noise reduction than in performance.

I have two 'woods' modified 361's by two different 'pros' and am extremely pleased with both. Comparison cuts have been made between them and 044 and 046's. I prefer the modified 361 as it handles easily under all conditions and performs great. If I ever bought a larger saw, it would have to be an 066/660, the 44/46's are just to close to the modified 361's and they weigh more.

The one thing that may be different for me, as I am not a climber and do all my work on the ground, is I often find myself using the 'woods' modified 361's even on the light stuff, instead of the 026/260's with their muffler mods.

So overall, I'd have to say the bottom line for me on a woods modified 361 is it has power and usability to the extent that it is now my most used saw.

ehp 2159

i couldn't get my saw to run very well at all until i had it modded, all the epa stuff removed i would recommend it on any of these e-tech saws for sure, they run way too lean and hot. now it runs cooler much more torque. i don't cut for production but this saw deffinately cuts faster.

Back