Project Farm tests gasoline chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does he explain why he picked those particular saws, as they aren't like vs like.

Kind of all over the map with the box store stuff-and then a homeowner Stihl.

Capture.JPG

Does he explain why he picked those particular saws, as they aren't like vs like.

Kind of all over the map with the box store stuff-and then a homeowner Stihl.

View attachment 1048947
Random availability and this enabled him to make a video is my guess.

All in all a pretty review methodology, unlike some of the YouTube drek.
Using the same chain or chain manufacture would have tightened up the testing variables.

Since 99% of homeowners are just going to run each saw as it comes, I understand why he did the same. Just like how they won't be tuning the carb either.

All in all a pretty review methodology, unlike some of the YouTube drek.
Using the same chain or chain manufacture would have tightened up the testing variables.
The MS250 generally comes with .325 by 0.063 RM chain, It does not look like a 3/8lp bar to me in the video. It might even do better if switched to the same class of chain as the others.

The MS250 generally comes with .325 by 0.063 RM chain, It does not look like a 3/8lp bar to me in the video. It might even do better if switched to the same class of chain as the others.
Or you could leave it sitting on the shelf where it belongs and buy a MS261, or even a Chinese 026 clone and have an actual saw. Flame on :)

I really like his vids. Not always perfect, but always well thought out and an honest attempt to provide the average Joe with the information needed to make an informed decision. I think we all would have chosen some different saws for him to compare, but (as others have said) I totally understand why he picked these saws. My main take away from THAT video, is that a good battery powered chainsaw really is the best long term option for a homeowner.

I like Project Farm and have watched and hit the 'like' button on a lot of them.

Knowing a little about chainsaws it is interesting to see so many non rectified variables in the testing.

At a minimum I'f like to see each saw use the same off the same roll of chain.

Next would be some run time and carb adjusting to factory specs.

The presenter is top notch.

Lots of real world user things were left out .
They always are. The real world has so many variables, many of them random, that to include them would result in an overly complex evaluation process. Basically he did an undergraduate level review for the masses, and left the PhD. level review to the professionals.

Latest posts

Back