Propane Chainsaw???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NPKenny

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Anyone have an idea on how to oil the cylinder in the case of using Propane as a fuel for a 2-stroke? A person would really have to adjust the carburator set-up, but I don't think that is the main issue. A small propane bottle (think coleman or MAPP gas size) would be fairly easy to tote with the saw.

I have been thinking in borderline survivalist mode and thought of all of the benefits to being able to use chainsaw. I very simple mount to connect to a wheat grinder or blender or water pump, etc., in addition to being able to supply wood simply for heating and cooking. The advantage to me is that Propane does not degrade over time.

Just brainstorming.

My gut reaction is it can't be done on a two stroke since you rely on the gas as a way to get oil in the motor. It's not like on a carbed vehicle where you can simply switch over since the oiling is separate...

Quite a different carb needed too. That sounds like a good use for those litre containers of premixed fuel with virtually unlimited shelf life till opened. Mentioned on another thread here a few days ago.

How about one of those small motorcycle engines with the seperate oil injection carb type setups ?
Could be a good reason to build a bike saw.
Maybe adapt a carb off of one of the smaller propane powered Briggs engines......................

Sorry "brain fart" ................................

The only propane use in chainsaws I know of, are the Comets from the 1950s, and maybe the first Jonsereds, but it was only used to warm them up for the use of diesel fuel........

...orrrrr something like that.......

There is an interesting story here.

:greenchainsaw:

Last edited:
The only propane use in chainsaws I know of, are the Comets from the 1950s, and maybe the first Jonsereds, but it was only used to warm them up for the use of diesel fuel........
Right about the Comet, SawTroll.
Here are some pics of the saw my friend Wayne finally tracked down for his collection:

attachment.php

attachment.php

He got the instructions translated from Swedish, and to fill the handle with propane, light it and warm up the cylinder, then go through all the steps to finally get it running took him over 30 minutes! I guess you could get faster with practice, though. It seems every conceivable idea and design for a chain saw that could be built has been built. But maybe not, since an actual propane burning saw hasn't been seen yet. Maybe NPK is on to something!

how about converting one of the aux manual oilers over to oil injection? couple squirts every couple seconds........

:popcorn:

Wait for Dolmars 4 cycle chain saw to come out. Just add a manifold after the carb venturi (or make you own venturi/manifold, a demand pressure regulator and you're in business!

A few minor problems with the ider of using 16oz bottles. First is that propane engines have roughly 80% of the power that the same engine would have on gas, not a biggy.

The second is the rate you would be using the propane from liquid would freeze the bottle, something that could be overlooked if used in short burst.

The third thing is relatively simple also, if you use a barrel style carb, you could link it to your 2-smoker oil pump (forth item) so it shot an increasingly larger portion of oil with the carb opening,,,,, set just shy of smoking and watch plug color,,, fairly easy to manage.

The forth thing would be somewhat easy also, and could be fairly self regulating. The easiest way I can think of to make the 2-smoker oil pump would be to use a diaphragm style pump scaviging the pressure/vacuum pulses in the crankcase, engine speed somewhat sets the flow, much the same as the one in a conventional gas fuel-pump, and feed into the engine in the air/fuel stream just ahead of a screen or something so the oil atomizes well.

Add those problems up and me thinks you will find a way to stabilize fuel?

Propane has a trimindious shef life, but is more readily converted to 4-smoker mounted engines, as you need bigger to get the same power,,,,something nobody ever wanted in a hand held 2-smokers.

Being a survivalist my self, there is a chance that your shopping flee markets for the better condition crosscut saws and the like for plan "B"?

I think it might be more practical to convert a small 4 stroke generator to run on propane. Thats easy enough, then mount the whole thing on a trolly or small trailer with it's propane tank so its portable. Then just use standard electic water pump, meat grinder, chainsaw as needed. Lets you run any appliance or power tool as needed.

Ian

you could find a saw with a auto oiler and a manual oiler divid the tank set the auto oiler for engine oil more rpms more oil then just use the manual oiler for the bar . or have a scienctist fomlate prop with the correct amont of oil in a suspended form in the correct ppm or put stable in your gas and hope for the best .sorry i was thinkin agun

I wouldn't be that hard. Those little Yamaha PW50's are oil injected. They use a small gear driven pump and jet straight into the intake. You would just neet to find a place to drive the pump. It could be done.

Anyone have an idea on how to oil the cylinder in the case of using Propane as a fuel for a 2-stroke? A person would really have to adjust the carburator set-up, but I don't think that is the main issue. A small propane bottle (think coleman or MAPP gas size) would be fairly easy to tote with the saw.

I have been thinking in borderline survivalist mode and thought of all of the benefits to being able to use chainsaw. I very simple mount to connect to a wheat grinder or blender or water pump, etc., in addition to being able to supply wood simply for heating and cooking. The advantage to me is that Propane does not degrade over time.

Just brainstorming.

Get an axe and cross cut saw. no fuel required.

Latest posts

Back