Propane compared to wood usage estimates

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mistergreentree

mistergreentree

ArboristSite Member
Hey guys...I was wondering if anyone has an idea of how much wood it should take to replace 1000 gallons of propane. I typically use between 1000 - 1200 gallons a year in propane and just bought a Shaver 165 for this coming winter season. My house heat is propane and my hot water and that's all I use it for.

Thanks for any and all help. I really am enjoying this site.

gink595

gink595

Addicted to ArboristSite
Here is a example: Convert your fuel to cords of wood
Used 1200 gal. LP, Divide by 593.6= 2.02 x 2 cords good wood= 4.04 cords wood to replace 1200 gal. LP

I'm not sure I understand where the constants came from but this came from a sheet that the owner of Topeka Stove and Seed, it was a comparison from gas to wood and corn. Hope this makes sense to you:popcorn:

mistergreentree

mistergreentree

ArboristSite Member
Thanks for the quick responses. I would love to get it done with 4 cords! I plan to have around 6-7 before fall and then cut when I can this winter. I didn't decide to get the stove till late spring so I don't have anything cut yet. I'll probably be buying the majority this season and cutting for next.

My house is 2100 sq ft with a 1100 sq ft basement that we really don't heat much. The furnace sticker says
input 66000 btu
output 54000 btu

Thanks for all the input.

mistergreentree

mistergreentree

ArboristSite Member
Gink....do you know of a good wood supplier that I could buy from for this winter? I have 15 acres of woods that I will be cutting out of for future wood, but like I said I'm starting at the wrong time to use it this winter.

My brother in law is building next to us and he is also putting in a OWB so he'll need some wood to.

Thanks

mistergreentree

mistergreentree

ArboristSite Member
we would probably need it delivered because of how much we would need. I would probably want to buy 5 cords and my Brother in law would need that much too I'm assuming.

I'm about 10 miles south of Butler just off 101 if that helps.

I will also be using scrap from our cabinet shop to supplement the firewood. not sure how it is all going to work out yet and want to be prepared as best I can.

Thanks alot

gink595

gink595

Addicted to ArboristSite
we would probably need it delivered because of how much we would need. I would probably want to buy 5 cords and my Brother in law would need that much too I'm assuming.

I'm about 10 miles south of Butler just off 101 if that helps.

I will also be using scrap from our cabinet shop to supplement the firewood. not sure how it is all going to work out yet and want to be prepared as best I can.

Thanks alot

So your right out by Nucor Fastener and Vulcraft area, I used to live out by CR40 and CR59 out by SDI. I will get back with you on a price and delivery. One question how long of blocks will your stove (s) handle??

ray benson
A gallon of propane equals 93,000 btu's. A cord of wood can be looked up on a wood chart and an example would be American elm - 19.5 million btu's. per cord.
19,500,000 / 93,000 = 209
So with this example 209 gallons of propane to equal a cord of American Elm. The wood heat output varied by wood type from a low of 12,000,000 to a high of 32,900,000 btu's /cord.
http://www.chimneysweeponline.com/howood.htm

So to replace 1200 gal of propane you could conceivably need around 6 cords of American Elm.

Wirenut2266

Wirenut2266

ArboristSite Guru
What ray said......Seems like 4 cords will be on the light side. I heat my 2100 foot home on about 725 gallons a year here in Minnesota. Now will try to do most of it with wood for first time, plan on about 6 cords myself. If more, thats okay, love ma nature and cuttin. Only in the fall though....

Latest posts