Proper Chain Break-in?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mwiles629

Reaction score
I recently purchased a Poulan 18" saw. I used it about 4 hours cutting wood that has been laying around for about 2 years. I had no problem with it, I cut alot of wood and the chain I believe went dull, it was no longer cutting good. So I went out and bought a new chain, an Oregon chain. The new chain I only used half hour to maybe an hour. Then same thing, no longer was cutting good, in fact it was hardly cutting at all. I did let the chain run at a slow speed for about 5 minutes before cutting and there's plenty of bar oil coming out, and the chain tension is good. Whats causing the chain to go bad so quickly? Any suggestions or a better chain I can get?

Thanks,
Michael

Is the wood you're cutting dirty? Dirt, muck, and mud on the bark/wood can dull a chain very quickly, just as if you are letting the chain come in contact with the ground when cutting through.

Have you tried sharpening it? Is it being dull the only defect observed? If that's the case, simply determine what angle your particular chain needs to be filed at and go ahead and file it. I suspect that'll breathe some new life into your chains. Repeat as necessary.

Dirt, sand,rocks,nails. Cutting through into the dirt on finish I bet too.

Sit down and read the manual that came with your saw. Even poulans have manuals. There isn't a heck of a lot of detail in the homeowner manuals but it just might give you a clue on how not to hurt or kill yourself. If you were unaware that the chain could be sharpened, there are most likely many other aspects of using a chainsaw that you are in the dark about.

Be safe. :)

i will second that . be careful ,bud that thing can hurt u real bad.. my adviceis not to fell[cut down] anything bigger than your arm ,until u gain a bit of knowledge. jmo

Check some of the manufaturers sites for chain sharperning advice, or use the search funtion at the top of the page.

Latest posts

Back