Propertyline dangerous removal questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wct4life

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey guys, I know that I should probably search this, but am feeling a bit lazy.

I'm at my aunt's house and there is a lightning struck tree on the property line. It's about 90' and 60" dbh ash w/ three leads.

The question is, do you know if the Insurance company would take care of the cost to remove? Would there be a premium? And do you think that the other homeowners insurance would help foot the bill?

Thanks

:alien:

Insurance companies around here respond to queries about preemptive work with "call us if it falls on the house".

There is no standard answer. You need to read the policy you have. Most insurers issue a standard HO3 ISO policy, which may or may not cover.

General rule of thumb - they normally will only cover the tree if it actually falls.

On the otherhand, if you can tell me the policy you have, I can probably help you out.

I teach Insurance classes at night:D

Lighning strikes

I have been involved in two sepperate lightning strike issues and both were different. One had a two year grace period to measure the extent of damage and see if removal was a must. The second was as stated earlier. Not untill it does damage. It will state in the policy which way. Contact the rep and see what he says.

In a rare case they might, I've had two insurance companies actually pay to have trees removed, before damage was to occur. Depends on the insurer. Most could care less and wait till it falls on the house before they do anything.

This year I have had a few insurance companies tell the owners they would not renew policies unless large limbs and deadwood be taken care of before a new policy could be issued.

Larry

This year I have had a few insurance companies tell the owners they would not renew policies unless large limbs and deadwood be taken care of before a new policy could be issued.
Yeah, Our company has been doing alot of jobs like that. Mostly elevation and flat siding trees away from houses.

I wasn't able to get a good look at this tree, it's dark and foggy here, but they were able to piont out some of the noticable problems. My aunt is going to call the ins. rep. tomorrow to see what they say.

The main problem was their nieghbor knows a guy that does treework on the side.:rolleyes: He told them that he'd remove it for $500 and take away the limbs/logs. I laughed when they said that. My Company would charge close to $3000 for removal and clean-up. My uncle said that he had a bid for $1200 just to get it to the ground. I thought that that would be fair.

After further discussion, I found out that the weekend hack was uninsured.:eek: I went through and explained the many problems that this could create. Now they're having second thoughts about the lowest bidder. Thank God.

Originally posted by wct4life
Yeah, Our company has been flat siding trees away from houses.
An ins. co.pays for preventive mutilation, and increasing the chance the trees will fall the other way? I can understand butchering for utility clearance, but does this flatsiding seem like the right thing to do?

I wasn't able to get a good look at this tree,
The only way you can assess lightning damage is to climb the thing and see how much bark is killed and if there are deep cracks. "Just wait and see" is not a good approach to tree safety, or tree care in general.

a guy that does treework on the side told them that he'd remove it for $500 and take away the limbs/logs.
That guy must know that most ins cos will pay up to $500/tree, and many will pay that toward removal no matter how trivial the damage is.

If the tree has any value at all to your aunt, see below:

A TALE OF TWO OAK TREES

Lightning struck twice in Wake County, NC last year, and two big oak trees bore the brunt. What happened next tells a tale of Scrooge-like assumptions, and how Great Expectations can go awry.

A white oak grew in an undisturbed area. The blast had torn off a spiraling streak of bark from top to bottom. The arborist saw that the open wound was no more than 12” wide, and tapped the bark on either side of the wound with his rubber mallet to see how much more had been detached from the wood.

The total bark damage at the bottom indicated the tree might be saveable, so the next step was an aerial inspection. He climbed to the top and trimmed away (“traced”) the torn bark on the edges of the wound on his way down. Bark that was sound, yet detached, was stapled back to the wood so it might readhere, shrinking the infection court. The roots on the blasted side were inoculated with mycorrhizal fungi and fertilized.

The tree was nominated for an award in the Meritorious category by a member of the Capital Trees Program. The registered forester who came out to inspect it said “Bah, Humbug!” Nominated trees must be in good condition to receive an award, and the forester assumed all lightning-blasted trees are rendered useless.

Nevertheless, treatment went forward. The arborist removed two of the damaged lead branches from the crown. He sprayed exposed xylem with eucalyptus oil to repel opportunistic woodboring insects. Over 2” of scar tissue has grown over the wound in one season, and the oak leafed out fully next spring. Well on its way to recovery, it was finally granted a Meritorious Award. During the second growing season the callus thickened remarkably and closed over up to two more inches of the xylem. The wood was sprayed once more with botanical repellent.

The second oak majestically defined the edge of the historic district in Fuquay-Varina. Two years before, the Capital Trees Program had given it an Historic Tree Award. Scant lawn in full sun covered half the root system, and little of the rest was mulched. The lightning damage seemed just slightly wider than the first, so the arborist started treating the wound as before.

Below some old pruning cuts halfway down, a portion of bark over 4’ square was detached. Curiously, it wasn’t near the lightning wound! Insects had entered wounds made by climbing spikes and eaten away the cambium. That climber must have dug in his spikes to keep his balance as he cut, with Great Expectations that those little holes couldn’t possibly hurt that great big tree. Aggravating this injury was the bare ground underneath. Oaks being ring-porous, the roots that were needed to help repair this damaged side of the tree had too many problems of their own to perform that function.

Added to the lightning wound, this human-made injury put the total dead bark area over one-third of the circumference. Despite insect control, fertilization, and, belatedly, mulch, the prognosis was poor. Little scar tissue grows, and half the crown is pale. The tree’s useful years were over, clearly due to the use of climbing spikes and root abuse.

Lightning may someday inflict a Twist-ed scar on your trees, but you can keep storms, disease and insects from picking your urban forest’s pocket. A healthy root environment below organic groundcover costs less than a cup of gruel. The tree provides it for free when it sheds its leaves. That, and lack of damage above the ground, can keep your trees growing great Lightning may scare the Dickens out of you, but it’s nothing to lose all your trees over.

Another problem I've run intp is that the underwrite may refuse to pay and threaten to cancel the ploicy if the tree is not removed.

A company I worked with had the lady call to see if they would pay part under "comprehensive" coverage and they tolder her to get it down right away, on her own, or else.

The other time a couple called because of a storm split crotch before calling my client.

Both cases the insurers grounds was a known correctable risk. After all the buisness is based on betting that you will not need their sercices.

Ins. co.

Don't take the first No! as their final answer. Had one ins.co. go $750 on a removal of a lightening struck tree after third request by the homeowner. First two were turned down and the homeowner made a third request and was approved, not that it covered the entire cost but some is better than none. The homeowner did go through the trouble of getting three other bids/oppinions on the need for the removal after the lightening strike.

This may be a little off the tree subject but when I had my dump truck stolen. I had allot of equipment in it and I was going to try and have it all covered by my home owners, but my rates would of went up for two years and I would have paid double in the long run. Those insurance companies get ya coming and going. I hear that there is always a loop hole but I can never find it.

The loop-hole is that they, along with banks, have managed to get themselves subsidized by government in that there are either laws requiring or benefits accruing as a result of doing business with them.  You will never come out ahead in normal dealings with insurance companies; they'll see to that.

Glen

Originally posted by glens
Is that article posted anywhere else on the WWW?
Maybe, if someone "borrowed" it from me..It's been in newspapers and newsletters, not in a mag.

That article is a little different. A Tale of Two Cities is a familiar title, so it's not surprising that it's been adapted before.

I submitted a variation to unnamed orgs before but it didn't get published. Inadequate documentation that the treatment helped the first tree. My reply was that I made no such claim; I was just reporting the facts. NO dice. A few months later at a conference a guy from the same org does a talk with the same title. NO problem; ya can't copyright a title can you, and what's the dif anyway? HE knew a good thing when he saw it.
This thread's title is curious. No observation has been offered to show that the tree is either dangerous or a removal. Why not find out if it should be a "Safe Survivor?"

"Hey guys, I know that I should probably search this, but am feeling a bit lazy"

wc, you'll find out a lot more by searching the archives. And you'll find out more yet by climbing the tree, hammer in hand.

Back