Pro's and Con's of the new stove.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
branchbuzzer

branchbuzzer

Undiagnosed
6. No auto thermostat, The old one had one that would adjust with the temp and adjust the air flow to keep it kinda the same, This one has no such animal.

Now i'm sure i have missed a few on either side of the pro's and con's. All in all the stove works good, it's just not what we expected as far as the burning of smoke and ash. We really wanted to help out with putting less smoke in the air and not bother neighbors around. I will say that it keeps the house warmer and i guess that's what it's all about.

King wood circulator

attachment.php

I also have a King circulator, I've used mine for about 12 years now and I am very happy with it. I know you've already switched, but here are some things I've done to make it run virtually smoke-free.

- On the auto-thermostat, a simple way to make the intake flap never completely close is to place a paper clip ( or an alligator clip, etc. ) on the bottom of the flap. This way there is always a trickle of air no matter how hot it gets. I had to cut a hole in the front grate to access it, but as the stove isn't much of a looker anyway no big deal.

- The side flap on the ash tray door can also be rigged to be slightly open. This flap has a spring on mine that normally opens the flap completely when the main outer door is opened up, but mine can be made to only open slightly by sliding the "axle" of the spring to one side, which makes the flap catch and only open about a quarter inch on the bottom. I normally run mine with the side door open the whole time, this gives off more heat and keeps the door handles cool. On my side flap, there is also a small adjustable disc with different size holes that allow some air in, but this doesn't seem to allow enough in so I normally don't even bother with it..

- I usually also have the top grate off. It allows for more heat off the top, plus is a better cooking surface. I use an old metal refrigerator grate shelf if I need air underneath a pan. I had a cat once that didn't appreciate me taking that grate off when he explored the top of the running stove, but I did tell him in plain English not to do that so it was his own fault :D

Running the stove this way, I've never had to clean the chimney of creosote during the burning season and have sometimes gone two full years between cleaning with never more than a quarter inch of 'sote. I use it as my only source of heat in a 1000 sq ft home. I haven't seen any other stove that matches it's output, but I haven't seen some of the very latest EPA models.

DSS

Cowshot
Two things, SS.

You should have got cjcocn to put it in. Could have lifted it himself.:bowdown:

Second, I would be thinking about extending the floor protector on the side. It makes me nervous just looking at the pics.

Beautiful stove though. Those old circulators were good too, a lot of people around here still using them.

stihl sawing
Two things, SS.

You should have got cjcocn to put it in. Could have lifted it himself.:bowdown:

Second, I would be thinking about extending the floor protector on the side. It makes me nervous just looking at the pics.

Beautiful stove though. Those old circulators were good too, a lot of people around here still using them.
It sticks out farther than it looks, So far no problem with that. It sticks out about 18 inches there.

My wife send that pic to you?:hmm3grin2orange:

jrr344

jrr344

Addicted to ArboristSite
This is the most selfish thread ever people are freezing in the slums of chicago and you are worried about your whole house smothering in the winter not to mention replacing a working wood stove. This thread disgusts me.:spam:

stihl sawing
This is the most selfish thread ever people are freezing in the slums of chicago and you are worried about your whole house smothering in the winter not to mention replacing a working wood stove. This thread disgusts me.:spam:
Hmmmmm....Yes it is selfish, You would think the OP would have more regards for other people.

Latest posts