Prune Sealer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 6919

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Just a quick question; is it ever a good idea to use a prune sealer on freshly pruned limbs? I have an old can of this that I'm ready toss since I remember reading somewhere that this is actually bad for trees. What about large bushes?

Thanks! Christina

Toss it. Educate yourself on the proper pruning techniques and read up on the best times to prune your particular trees/shrubs and you will be fine.

I re-read your post and you asked is it EVER good to use. On very large pruning cuts, it can sometimes be advantageous, but if a limb that large is being removed, it should be done by an arborist who could evaluate the situation better.

I believe the practice of sealing and painting pruning cuts has been proven harmful more often than beneficial. This is elementary to arborists here on this site, but I think many tree trimmers need an elementary qualification.

It appears that it is a unanimous decision. I got rid of the can this morning. Just doing a little housekeeping in the garden shed.

Thanks all!

christina

cnswift said:
Hello,

Just a quick question; is it ever a good idea to use a prune sealer on freshly pruned limbs? I have an old can of this that I'm ready toss since I remember reading somewhere that this is actually bad for trees. What about large bushes?

Thanks! Christina
no! bad idea suprised they still sell the stuff, banned in the 80s it is akin to placing a bag over a childs head j

Banned in the '80's??? Along with disco and leisure suits? Pruning paint has never been banned. The use of pruning pain has fallen out of favor since Shigo's work was published in the mid '70's though.

There are times when sealing a wound has some benefits though. If a red oak has to be pruned during the early growing season in areas where oak wilt is an issue it has been shown to have some benefit.

There are some types of sealer/paint that are much less toxic to the tree that can have benefits too.

Does it actually help stop the mistletoe from returning ?
I thought that it had to be removed to a point of at least 1 foot away.

For years on the Internet there has been something written about how the only way to get rid of mistletoe was amputation about 2' below the point of mistletoe infection/growth. Or shaving and then wrapping with burlap and black plastic to suffocate from light while not getting a wet spot in wood. Kinda tough cuz it is supposed to take 3 years!

This thick layer of tar paint seems to be the next generation of the same idea; and witht he provided references of ISA and Guy / Treeseer i have faith in it, but haven't used it long enough to swear by (or at) results personally.

Florel is sold to treat mistletoe, but just to abort the blooms if properly applied at right time of year; so as to keep the menace from spreading; but not kill it. There has been some experiments with herbicides sprayed on the 'nubs' of mistletoe after shaving it off; but only during tree dormancy period. The target is to get the herbicide into the mistletoe, but not into the tree; even though there vascular systems are connected.

Down'ere during seasonal droughts, the mistletoe is extra devastating. The leaf stoma stay open at lots lower 'osmotic pressure' than the tree leaf stoma. So, as the tree is closing stoma to prevent transpiration, and thereby save water; the mistletoe stoma are open and pulling and transpirating water off at full throttle. So, only the mistletoe gets watered, fed and cooled, as the internal water pressure in tree gets lower; and less chance for pulling water to deliver nutrients, cool self etc. (for tree) the more the mistletoe uses!

My "i hate Mistletoe Page"

i just coat the ends of the mistletoe; so i don't 'shave' the mistletoe so close; leave nubs and smother them from light and air. Mistletoe needs the tree and the light; this strategy purports to take the light, rather than the tree from the hungry demon.

But, once again still personally in early stages with this; but figuring we can trust the magic TreeSeer to lead us through the fog here. And he says ISA wrote about it; after all the stuff about not using paint except for protecting from oakwilt etc. when necessary.

Latest posts

Back