Pruning a Fringe tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xtapikl

Reaction score
Hi,
We recently planted a Chinese fringe tree and now we are wondering if maybe it was a mistake. (Well, my wife isn't, she thinks it's fine) Specifically, I'm worried about the crotch angle of the two trunks. Is this what is called "included bark"? Is this tree likely to fail 10 or 20 years down the road? I know it will need some serious pruning over the next few years. Would it be better to remove one of the trunks?
Thanks

xtapikl said:
Is this what is called "included bark"? Is this tree likely to fail 10 or 20 years down the road? Would it be better to remove one of the trunks?
Thanks

Yes, no and no. Arborists often overreact to narrow branch angles with included bark, fearing every one is a disaster in the making. Fringetree is more a large shrub than a tree. This one will never get big enough to split apart in any but the most violent storm. If that one were mine I would pull the two trunks apart and hold them there with a spacer, like a 2x4 with notches cut and padded to fit the trunks.

Then you could get a threaded rod long enough to go through them both, drill through one, slide the rod through to mark the other, drill it, and secure it with rubber washers and nuts on both sides of the trunks. This will:

1. Prevent the trunks from ever splitting, and

2. Widen the crown so you get a bigger more valuable tree.

Or you can just leave it alone. :)

Re pruning, this has a very irregular shape, so do not try to prune it into a regular shape or you both will be miserable.

Back