Pruning a Silver Maple

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZeroLife

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a very large Silver Maple in need of trimming. When is the best time to give it a trim? I've heard the dead of winter, when the tree is dormant is the best. It's in the middle of my drive way, 20' from the house and 30' from the garage. Would be a very expensive removal if it were to die. Especially sure to shoddy pruning! Thank you in advance tree gurus!

Winter is always good to prune just about any tree. If not then, wait until after the spring, when it is fully leafed out. If you get to fall before ya do it, and it starts to drop leafs, leave it alone until it is empty. If you are doing it, make sure you read up on proper pruning cuts. Silvers are notorious for being weak "healer's" and will decay quickly around a bad cut. Silvers are kinda crappy trees, I love them tho, brings lots of work.

The absolute best time to trim any tree is just before they come out of dormancy. They do most of their growing and therefore healing, in the spring. Your maple tree isn't really susceptible to any pest born ailments which is the primary reason for trimming at certain times of the year. It is safe to trim that tree any time you like.

The biggest concern people have with trimming maple in late winter/early spring is that they will "bleed" a lot (a significant amount of sap will be pushed out of the pruning cuts). This does not hurt the tree but can cause some stains on the tree and objects below. I think they are easier to prue with leaf off so you can see what is going on.

Yep, they do that until CODIT takes effect, helps keep the bad guys out. One of my guys asked one time if that was syrup, I said "kinda, give it a try" He did...........

Based on their problems here in MN, I'd say at ground level. Seriously, I'd start growing another specie appropriate to the soil, other than maple, and once it's established remove the maple.

edit, just reread and realized we're talking about a larger tree. I'd still plan using a more appropriate specie as an eventual replacement. Seedlings are my favored replant. I might not be here to see the tree in it's full glory, but we should be learning to plant for the future anyway.

Removal is not an option here unless the tree dies. Planting replacement is also not an option as the tree is in the middle of my driveway. The house is 65 years old. I would say the driveway was poured in slabs from original date to maybe the mid 60's when the tree was a damn shade smaller. Judging by the heaving of some of the slabs, the tree is healthy, and winning the battle against them. The question now is pruning the tree without killing it. The next question, inside a few years, will be removing the existing concrete and pouring new slabs without killing the tree.

The question now is pruning the tree without killing it. The next question, inside a few years, will be removing the existing concrete and pouring new slabs without killing the tree.

Check out structured soil for base. Good on ya, move the sidewalk, not the tree! Concrete does not produce oxygen! They also have a new concrete that allows air and water to travel down, keeping the roots from needing to go up.

Latest posts

Back