Pruning Tools (non chainsaw)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just what my next question was going to be rebelman! :cheers:
I found a website (Bartlett) that looks like they have good pruning pole combos. I noticed that they have a rectangular fiberglass pole type. They state that its heavier and yet stiffer than a round pole. I want a light and stiff pole.
Wood is the way to go? How does wood stand up to a round or rectangular fiberglass pole?
Can you have a sectional wood pole? Is that pole of yours in sections rebelman?
Marvin pruning heads decent?

I'm such a pain in the arse!:deadhorse:

Thanks guys!
----AK

Last edited:
Jameson yellow fiberglass poles, preferably foam core, but the hollow core are tough poles too. Watch out for imitaions, the ferules are not as strong.
I have the jameson pruner head with the swivel pulley, and the corona 1600 bull lopper head. Both very nice, the corona head will make a bigger cut than any other pruner head on the market.
I also have a silky zubat pole saw, doesn't get used much, I prefer a standard pole saw head on my fiberglass poles, right now I'm using corona blades.
Silky handsaws rock!

If you're going up the tree with a pole saw, I recommend the Silky Longboy because the blade folds down and isn't as likely to slice you. They don't have a hook for it so I made one out of #4AWG ground wire and two hose clamps... works fine with the bonus of being able to re-shape the hook when you want to. At 12' it ain't the longest tool in the shed but it's light and collapses to under 6'.

The little pushbuttons are kinda cheesy but I've never had it collapse while sawing. Those heavy two section Jamesons and 16' Hayauchis make my tendonitus flare up just thinking about'em.

Felco hand pruners are the only kind I've used, no complaints. I wouldn't be caught dead with loppers way off the ground... pole saws are dangerous enough.

Back