Prunning back very overgrown apple and pear trees

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeep

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am a novice and have a dozen or more old and big (20' approx) apple and pear trees that I would like to make as productive as possible. They all produce lots of fruit but most of it is very wormy. The deer are their main consumers. I was wondering if proper pruning would in any way make the trees have less wormy fruit. Or would I be just as well off to leave them alone? We pick a few bags of fruit that have avoided the worms and leave the rest to the deer. I'd like to increase the amount of good fruit but never at the expense of using chemicals. I am happy to put in the work of pruning but don't use chemicals. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance to any one who wishes to take the time to advise me. jeep

Check you pm's

You say a dozen or so, my pm asked how big your orchard was, but I mean more specifically how far are the trees apart? how much area does it occupy?

We do many projects every year to increase production of fruit trees- The best commercial tree facilities have apples growing between 4' and 6' in height the majority less than above head height, repetitive stress injury...

Post pictures on your next posting so recommendations can be made based upon your trees---

Thanx

the pruning needed by those trees, as Outonalimbts was inquiring about, (heavily overgrown and which will take several pruning cycles to correct), is probably beyond you, unless you have some level of expertise, and previous experience. not to say you can't do it, but it ain't no picnic, and not easy to just type a scope of work up.

call around to some orchards, and ask if you could volunteer to help them prune in exchange for "training".

better yet hire someone truly qualified to appraise orchard fruit trees, not just a tree guy who can prune. get them to do a couple trees with you, and you take it from there.

being from VA, I (and outonalimbts,as he stated) have done a lot of fruit work. where in michigan are you? send him a PM and get his #, or me, I might not be that far. Just across the pond. :D

Last edited:
Jeep, welcome to the site.

It seems you are asking not only how to prune these trees but can this reduce insect activity while sustaining production. Let me applaud your preference to stay away from chemicals! As this is a home orchard that you can enjoy on your own terms, there really is no reason to go to them.

Below is a link to a site based in Michigan that has research dealing with organic orchards. Perhaps it will have some beneficial information for you.

The nuances of pruning an orchard that has been let go for awhile can be overwhelming for a homeowner. However, to be very frank, there are many successful, small private orchards that are not "professionally" maintained and are still enjoyed by their owners.

There are a lot of guidelines....and a whole lot of leeway.

http://www.organicfruit.msu.edu/

Sylvia

Thanks Treeco for the ucdavis article. That is very nice. It lays things out very clearly.

Thanks Sylvia for the organic info. I will be reading it this evening. Sounds like you and I are on the same page regarding chemicals. My biggest concern is to not use poisons. I would rather have the deer eat the apples and I'll sort some out for our consumption.

Also, my trees will be good for me to practice on as they are not part of a yard they are scattered along the edges of the woods none are within 50 feet of another.

I like the idea of seeing if an orchard would let me work with them pruning in exchange for the knowledge I could gain. I have an organic orchard nearby and I will contact them. I live in the center of Michigan's lower peninsula West of Lansing. Great idea, thanks

Back