Pulling logs/sticks with rope?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, don't ever be in the bite, it'll cut you in half.

Putting an old towel (or sweatshirt) on lines actually does work good to keep the beast leashed (somewhat) if it breaks.

O hell Yeah it will, I've read lots of stories about the oldtimers when somebody got caught in the bight when the Donkey engine spooled up, anything that got hit was comin off

If I had a towel I woulda used to mop up my sweat and I'm pretty damn certain nobody wants to see me without a shirt on :jester:

O hell Yeah it will, I've read lots of stories about the oldtimers when somebody got caught in the bight when the Donkey engine spooled up, anything that got hit was comin off

If I had a towel I woulda used to mop up my sweat and I'm pretty damn certain nobody wants to see me without a shirt on :jester:

:laugh:

Sorry guys, no pics but the rope did work fine for pulling the logs. It didn't work, however, at preventing injuries. I think I broke my foot but we will see what the ER doc says in a little bit. I guess you can only plan for the worst and hope for the best, but the planning didn't pay off this time. I was loading a 20" round of birch into my truck and caught my foot on the brush underneath and felt a snap. Oh well, live and learn!

Stay safe! :cheers:

Dang! Sorry to hear that. Hopefully your not out of commission for to long. No pics of the set-up? How about some of your busted up ankle? Just kidding...get well.

Sorry guys, no pics but the rope did work fine for pulling the logs. It didn't work, however, at preventing injuries. I think I broke my foot but we will see what the ER doc says in a little bit. I guess you can only plan for the worst and hope for the best, but the planning didn't pay off this time. I was loading a 20" round of birch into my truck and caught my foot on the brush underneath and felt a snap. Oh well, live and learn!

Stay safe! :cheers:

I am glad it worked for you, but sorry about you foot, man that sucks hopefully it is just a sprain.

And it just goes to show ya; you worry about the rope, and the chokers, and stumps, and the dirt. And then what gets you is the walking.

pulling out firewood

10 dollars won't buy very much 3/8'' cable.

I think he refers to the value of the cord when it's stacked at home. If it's a 1oo bucks of wood, then the 90 difference bought some wire rope. I guess I would vote for the cable , and I don't even know what the stuff sells for these days.

And it just goes to show ya; you worry about the rope, and the chokers, and stumps, and the dirt. And then what gets you is the walking.

Yeah, go figure. Oh well. At least it isn't broken, but I can't put any weight on it. Guess I messed up a tendon pretty good so it feels like I have a noodle foot. Still going out this weekend for more wood. Guess I will watch where I am walking. :cheers:

Hmmmph! I told you to get some boots. Those second hand penny-loafers that you've been buying at the thrift store just don't make it. Good thing your day job involves a lot of sitting.

But those ugly boots don't look very good when I where my firewood outfit. They just don't go with my skinny jeans and scarf. :)

I was wearing my Danner Rainforest's and I think they are the only reason it was a bad sprain instead of breaking a bone. I tell you what, my foot was so swollen that I could barely get my boot off.

Choker cable works good also! thats what i use with my four wheeler to haul logs out of the woods.

But those ugly boots don't look very good when I where my firewood outfit. They just don't go with my skinny jeans and scarf. :)

I was wearing my Danner Rainforest's and I think they are the only reason it was a bad sprain instead of breaking a bone. I tell you what, my foot was so swollen that I could barely get my boot off.

Aww, a rolled ankle? Small taters. . you have to work that off. Best way I know how to get the swelling to go away and I have a terrible left ankle.

:msp_biggrin: Okay, you're off the hook. I just wanted to make sure that you weren't wearing an outfit like Cedarkerf uses for his avatar.

And...getting your boots off after an ankle sprain? That can be a major problem. I watched a guy pour cooking oil down one boot after his ankle had swollen far enough to be a problem. It worked. Messy, though.

Make your gimpy ankle work for you...as in "but honey, I can't take the garbage out, mow the lawn, paint the spare bedroom, or go visit your mother who hates me anyway...my ankle is really bothering me today". Limp a little. Don't forget to limp on the correct foot.

Hope you heal up quick. And quit being such a klutz.

Hey guys, thought I would give you an update. The rope worked great. It was a matter of getting traction to my truck to pull logs out, not the breaking strength of the rope. I pulled more wood than I was anticipating and the rope held up great. I wouldn't use it with a tractor but with the pickup it was great. I had the wife hooking up logs while I was cutting and she couldn't have done that with wire rope. There were very few places that I could put a snatch block so most of the time I was pulling with the rope on the ground. That 5/8" rope is VERY abrasion resistant.

For those of you looking for a cheaper alternative to steel cable I would look into this rope. Again, I wouldn't be hooking it to a skidder/tractor but for my truck it was great. I never had the feeling that it was about to break and I put the throttle to it a couple of times.

:cheers:

Latest posts

Back