Pulling my hair out!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

casey v

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I was given a small Craftsman top handle saw,

http://64.180.101.188/cscc.nsf/ed1d...2b91e6ea1368025788256cf3000f03db?OpenDocument .

Has compression and spark and will run with gas dripped into the carb. New fuel line and filter was installed. So everything pointed to it being a carb problem. I disassembled the carb only to find that the circuit plate gasket and diapham are missing. The rebuild kit has quite a few different circuit gaskets. I tried them all and none work. I get WOT but no idle, or WOT at idle, etc. If I were to post a photo of all the different gaskets, is anyone able to tell me which is supposed to be the correct one. Oh yeah, the carb is a Walbro WA with a fixed high speed jet.

Thanks Mike

Couple things. Do you have a breakdown for the carb that shows the position of the parts? I screwed up saw carb rebuild #1 a few years ago when I installed the diaphramm and gasket in an order that "only made good sense" but was backwards. Can you tell if it is flooding or lean? Try choking the saw as it comes to idle to see if it dies quicker or helps the situation. If the choke helps you have a lean condition and a multitude of possibilities from carb plugged up to intake gaskets to case leaks to crank seals. If you can get it to anywhere near idle carefully spraying carb cleaner or dribbling fuel around gaskets will find leaks pronto. An over rich condition in the carb will require somebody elses carb knowledge, Im just a gasket changer but I would inspect the needle for seating and proper hieght.

casey v said:
I was given a small Craftsman top handle saw,

http://64.180.101.188/cscc.nsf/ed1d...2b91e6ea1368025788256cf3000f03db?OpenDocument .

Has compression and spark and will run with gas dripped into the carb. New fuel line and filter was installed. So everything pointed to it being a carb problem. I disassembled the carb only to find that the circuit plate gasket and diapham are missing. The rebuild kit has quite a few different circuit gaskets. I tried them all and none work. I get WOT but no idle, or WOT at idle, etc. If I were to post a photo of all the different gaskets, is anyone able to tell me which is supposed to be the correct one. Oh yeah, the carb is a Walbro WA with a fixed high speed jet.

Thanks Mike

Mike

Leave your hair alone;) It'll fall out soon enough.

Anyway, for a diagram of your carb. go to www3.sears.com , type in your model no. 358350830(i'm guessing on the last number), and you should be able to view your carb breakdown of the gaskets involved.

Good luck.
Tom

I too thought that this saw uses a Tillotson, however it has a Walbro on it and I am Wondering if the carbs have been switched.

Mike

casey v said:
I too thought that this saw uses a Tillotson, however it has a Walbro on it and I am Wondering if the carbs have been switched.

Mike

They used both.

They can interchange without any issues. Say there's a walbro in there but you found a new tillotson you could put it in without any problems.

Latest posts

Back