Pulpwood mill in Va.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VaClearing

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm new to the forum but I am looking for a pulpwood mill in Va. or near by Va., I have been taking it to the dump but the fees are going up again .

How about telling us WHERE in virginia you are?? Most mills (westvaco and weyerhaeuser, the two largest) and others require that you have professional logger certification before you can even open an account. After you get your certification you have to have a MINIMUM of 15 CEU every three years plus 6 CEUs in water quality just keep up your certification.

We are in Manassas but do clearing in fairfax,loudoun, prince william counties. We are not loggers we just do clearing, would I still need to be cert. I am just looking for a place to get rid of all the pine we take off the lots.

DTE, down here there are almost NO small pulp mills. There are log brokers that will buy pulp and chip n saw but they turn around and sell to the larger mills and they to require it. You may be able to find a small mill or broker that will "look the other way" but in the DC area I would think that would be tuff, I don't mean to discourage you but rather prepare you as I have seen some of the people in the offices be less than professional in stating that.:(

Oh, I almost forgot. I don't know if this will apply to you or not but in Virginia if I want to go clear a lot for a building or field or what ever because I am a LOGGER and sell the logs I have to register it as a cut with the forestry department. Its not a big deal to do so but the state forester WILL come out and inspect the cut, site or what ever else it may be. If I don't register then there is a fine involved. So if I were you I would call the state forestry dept. and ask to speak with someone in inforcement and tell them what you do and ask them.

Its not bad after you get everything figured out. The forestery for my area is Clay Sawyer and he's a nice guy, easy to get along with as long as you do what your supposed to.

Ryan thanks for the info , in northern va. you dont have to contact the forestry dept. unless you are clearing more than 5 acres at a time. I guess it to the dump with pine , its such a waste though, I would haul it to the mill for free rather than fill the dump up with it.

The five acre or more requirement is intresting as on the forestry department website it doesn't make any allowences for differant areas of the state but it sounds like you have called and talked to someone so I guess thats the case for your area.

The forestry dept. has very few people in this area if they came out to any clearing the would have to come from another area I guess it is a pain fot them to come out for less than 5 acres , we do have to fill out a form through them each time we clear though.

Does anyone have any ideas about what to do with pine and cedar logs? It just burns me up that they end up in the landfill.Besides pulp what do people in other areas use it for? I'm open to all suggestions. Thanks

Lots of options, some easier than others.

You could try hooking up with someone or someones in the area with a portable bandsaw mill. If you contact Woodmizer, I believe they can get you in contact with area individuals.

If you have the equipment, you could chip the stuff and sell the chips or give them away to homeowners and landscraping businesses.

Are there any sawmills taking pine and cedar?

Interesting rules on land clearing. In Mass there are no restrictions (except for wetlands) or registrations or certifications if the clearing is being done for building of a structure. All other cuts over 25MBF or 50 cords have to have an approved cutting plan filed with the state.

We do have large chippers but there is no market for the chips we have to take the chips to the dump also if not our lot would be full in 2 weeks.In this area there are only hardwood mills,I do have a guy coming out on sat. that has a port. sawmill , will see what he has to say. I have just looked into log home constrution and they make most out of white pine ,95% of what we take down so I am going to follow up on that. Thanks

The cedar seems to be popular for mulch? Hazel sells it a premium. I asked once about them taking brush and logs but the county was trying to push too many regulations on them to do it.
Otherwise I don't have any ideas besides recycling places like American landcycle(changed name now I think?) or maybe Ticonderoga farms was taking this stuff at one time. Expensive for small loads but seemed reasonable for trailer load size?

95% White Pines? the only ones I ever see are planted around here?

Hey Todd , yeah most of the white pine we take out has been planted , we do a lot of old home demo. , were starting a job on Compton Rd. that has 17 acres of only white pines on it , most are 24in. in dia. and up , all planted but 40 or 50 years ago.

Originally posted by VaClearing
17 acres of only white pines on it , most are 24in. in dia. and up , all planted but 40 or 50 years ago.

I hope you arent taking that to the dump.

Va, with that type of timber you are DUMB if you trash that!!! White pine here in stuart sells for $200-$275 per thousand board feet (international scale) delivered to the mills. Asumming that your trees are straight with no multiple tops, then those trees should yield around 800-1000 board feet per tree! You would be smart to get your logger certifcation and sell the stuff.

Looking on the map you are talking a 5 hour trip each way , it is not cost effective to transport the logs .If you add up the drivers pay $19.00 per hour ,plus atleast 4 hours overtime by the time he is loaded and unloaded,theninsurance, fuel and wear and tear on the truck , and the fact the truck wouldn't be making $70.00 per hour it makes no sence,and that is just for one load .How long do think it would take to get all those logs there ,about 3 weeks. We just pass the dump fees on to the builder anyway. No one near this area will take pine for logs.

Why use your own trucking? Around here it is not uncommon for mills to have trucks come and pick it up at the landing, from as far away as Quebec.

Getting your logger cert. wouldn't be a bad thing in any event.

Latest posts

Back