Punky wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A former coworker of mine has gotten into turning wood to make upscale pens. He buys the ink cartridges in bulk and turns the pens out of 1" blanks. I have been supplying him with some wood, he started out wanting walnut but now I have him turned onto dogwood. Harder wood and tighter grain. He told me the most interesting grain came from knots and branch forks.

Yes, pens and knife handles, they just seem to love wood. Even low grade hardwood skids can yield some pretty awesome grain.
But it reminds me of a toothpick company that went out of business because they had to buy a log that year. Lol
John

I am new to wood burning, 4 years cutting my own but would like to know if this is punky and can I burn it in my wood stove
009-2.jpg

003-7.jpg
004-9.jpg

Thanks, all help will be appreciated
p.s. here is an update on load I got last week
005-6.jpg
looks good to me

If it makes heat and didn't cost much, It's good. I'll bet that it's a lot better than you think.

When you cut it and it makes chips, it's good to burn.

003-7.jpg

this log is 16" round and about 25" long, is it worth try to sell it to a mill or hobbiest and about how much will it fetch and thanks for all the help, you guys are very helpful.

It LOOKS hard and solid, how does it feel? Do you think it weighs what it should?

Natter- wood should burn.

The pretty log? Yes, find a hobbyists and gift it to him by letting him make an offer, and you take it. Sure is pretty, cut two inches off squarely, dry it on the stove, and sand and coat it with your choice of laquer or urethane, and make yourself a clock, just for fun.

003-7.jpg

this log is 16" round and about 25" long, is it worth try to sell it to a mill or hobbiest and about how much will it fetch and thanks for all the help, you guys are very helpful.
It's only worth what it's worth. Most funky wood reaches it's max value as a finished product. That's why most woodworkers want it raw for a song or a dance. Try some bowl turners and trade the wood for a finished bowl.
John

That is generally the wood I pull out of the forest; I will take punky wood (though to me, on the punky scale that stuff is a 3 out of 10 at best, probably 2) over just fallen. The fallen stuff unless very thin will be there next year.

Sigh had no real time to get wood this year, so will be dealing w/ really punky stuff next.

Tes

Usually those types of inclusions are endemic to some sort of mechanical damage to the sapwood, such as tapping for maple syrup.
In this case it looks like it was repeatedly shot with a low powered gun, but then there would be evidence of a slug.
Maybe a trapper repeatedly drove nails to secure a leghold trap.
Regardless, it's a strange situation.
John

Just a guess, but reckon that could come from years of sap suckers? I got a good size pecan tree in my yard that looks like somebody has went around it with a 1/4'' drill bit. Kinda looks like it could look like that, but dont know.

Just a guess, but reckon that could come from years of sap suckers? I got a good size pecan tree in my yard that looks like somebody has went around it with a 1/4'' drill bit. Kinda looks like it could look like that, but dont know.

Yes, mechanical damage can't be ruled out. If it was a mineral situation I'm sure the heart would be bigger and darker. Otherwise the tree looks pretty healthy. Birds no doubt.
John

I see nothing there I'd hesitate to burn. But if you paid the going rate for a grapple load, I'd ask for a partial reimbursement. Maybe 20 unless the seller was up front about the conditions of the logs.

Before you start asking for a refund of some of your money, ask yourself how much you want to keep that logger that sold you the wood. If only a couple of the logs were like in the pics, that's not bad. Around here if a new firewood/log customer starts complaining for nothing, that's the last load he gets.
Last winter a friend that sells wood got a complaint from a first time customer that the wood delivered was to long. The wood was exactly the length he asked for verified in front of the customer with a tape. Wood was taken back with a shorter length delivered. Later last winter he called begging for more wood when he ran out. My friend did put him on his delivery list (at the bottom) and charged him $25 more (told him because he was a PIA last time).

Before you start asking for a refund of some of your money, ask yourself how much you want to keep that logger that sold you the wood. If only a couple of the logs were like in the pics, that's not bad. Around here if a new firewood/log customer starts complaining for nothing, that's the last load he gets.
Last winter a friend that sells wood got a complaint from a first time customer that the wood delivered was to long. The wood was exactly the length he asked for verified in front of the customer with a tape. Wood was taken back with a shorter length delivered. Later last winter he called begging for more wood when he ran out. My friend did put him on his delivery list (at the bottom) and charged him $25 more (told him because he was a PIA last time).

Yep, don't complain about the small stuff, it can get a lot worse!

When I moved into my home I had a ton of large rounds all over the yard. The neighbor came over and told me that the wood was all punky and garbage. I listened to him and took my Polaris 6X6 and made about 20 trips and dumped it into the woods. Well that winter I wasn't prepared with enough wood and it was cold. Now, Punky, pertty or perfect I burn it all. If I paid for a load and it was all junk i'd be upset unless it was dirt cheap. If it was free , live with it.

Latest posts

Back