Purchasing a used bucket truck.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YoungTreeGuy

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
So business is picking up and its getting time to get some equipment. So when I go buy this used bucket what should I be looking for - damged cable, balljoints , U-joints are givens. So what should I watch out for when buying used.

So business is picking up and its getting time to get some equipment. So when I go buy this used bucket what should I be looking for - damged cable, balljoints , U-joints are givens. So what should I watch out for when buying used.

What's your budget?

Make sure it has chrome simulators.

Oh man that’s a long list to check out on a truck. I been looking for one myself and have found a few. The best thing I did was find someone that actually works on them. That was the best $100.00 bucks I ever spent. He went out and looked at the truck I was looking at and showed me a lot of things I had over looked. The truck and boom checked out good, but the smaller things added up to more than I wanted to spend. Of course you have the booms, cables, engine and things like that. BUT I over looked the bucket and he didn’t. It had spider cracks all over it where someone had backed into something with it. Then there was brakes, tires, alternator bracket, and a few other things just to get it to pass a DOT inspection. Between the DOT stuff and the bucket, it put it way over my budget.

An old cheap truck is never the way to go if you aren't ready to drop an assload of money into it. If you are then you are OK. I have bought cheap trucks in my day knowing I would spend a fortune on them.

:cheers:

I took mine off finally!, they where getting dinged! Gotta get new mud flaps, as to not advertise for those buttheads!

Yeah. The main thing with those guys is you just have to go in understanding what you are getting. The trucks are not "reconditioned" they have been painted white and chrome simulators installed. If a guy sees what he wants there and buys it cheap enough and is willing and has the money to get the truck right then he is OK. I pissed the guy off once at an auction when I ask him "just what is your definition of reconditioned".

Yeah. The main thing with those guys is you just have to go in understanding what you are getting. The trucks are not "reconditioned" they have been painted white and chrome simulators installed. If a guy sees what he wants there and buys it cheap enough and is willing and has the money to get the truck right then he is OK. I pissed the guy off once at an auction when I ask him "just what is your definition of reconditioned".

Even the guy that does their boom inspections for them admitted to me that they're half assed hackers. Yup, simulators and white wash!

Even the guy that does their boom inspections for them admitted to me that they're half assed hackers. Yup, simulators and white wash!

Thats exactly why I tell people to buy right from the auctions instead of going to the "dealers" What a joke....

I just bought a bucket for almost half of what one of those dealers is asking for a similar unit with a lesser engine than mine, and my truck is in better condition, and truly reconditioned. I'm excited to work it for a few years then sell it for more than I paid for it. Talk about a good investment.

Thats exactly why I tell people to buy right from the auctions instead of going to the "dealers" What a joke....

I just bought a bucket for almost half of what one of those dealers is asking for a similar unit with a lesser engine than mine, and my truck is in better condition, and truly reconditioned. I'm excited to work it for a few years then sell it for more than I paid for it. Talk about a good investment.

I agree that going to an auction and buying a truck like that would be the way to go. That way you would get to see the pig in the morning, for what she's really worth, before all the lipstick and prettying up, etc. Hell, there's a maaco that does big trucks around here... cheap! I would feel better about that even! I'm just wondering if you need a dealer's license to get in, like with the car auctions they have?

If I had it to do over again though, I would buy a truck privately, from the original owner - like I was planning to do in the first place, before I found those hicks with the white wash, and cheap ass tin hub caps!! :)

You are better off. All you are going to get is an auction truck that hasn't had anything done to it at those dealers. And hey...you might want to paint it some color besides white.

bucket trucks

I have bought several reconditioned trucks out of an outfit in North Carolina. I have no complaints (they paint it your colors) send me a message if you are interested. [email protected]

Latest posts

Back