Purple wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the only purple wood I know of is called purpleheart but I have never seen it in log form only milled up already an it is an exotic wood from brazil I think

Old buried metal (fencing/nails/staples, etc) will stain the wood.

Besides that, don't know, I am mostly colorblind can only see very very brilliant simple basic colors. shades and so on, meh...I have to look at shapes and get the 3D look to ID stuff, pics are hard for me.

Im putting my money on Black walnut. The texture on the outside looks to be that of black walnut minus the bark. it has the kind of stringy remains when BW bark comes off. I have some BW outback that has been down for a year and the heart wood looks kinda purplish...So thats why Im putting my money on BW

Jeff

Butternut is a uniform pinkish color(fresh split/sawn) where as Black Walnut has the lighter color surrounding the darker. The Butternut trees I have milled from near rivers have been a very nice shade of "purple" but uniform unlike the Black Walnut from the same areas.

I'll take your word on the purple, but just don't see any of it in the pix.

The wood looks like some long-dead black locust. Any of the species mentioned will burn just fine, though.

I'll jump in and say juniper. I've seen the same wood here that was the remains of a power line clearing. It really was purple... No leaves/needles around to prove it one way or the other, but it looks a lot like the juniper hedge that I have in my yard. And some of the junipers I have are about 6" in diameter... I just don't want to cut any of the live ones to find out!

I’m fairly certain it’s not cedar; initially I thought it was walnut. However, all the walnut I’ve cut had a lighter colored ring on the outside of the wood. Considering the log has been down for some time I suppose the ring could have gotten darker. Thanks for the responses.

I’m fairly certain it’s not cedar; initially I thought it was walnut. However, all the walnut I’ve cut had a lighter colored ring on the outside of the wood. Considering the log has been down for some time I suppose the ring could have gotten darker. Thanks for the responses.

Make something out of it if possible.

Back