Purple wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That there is juniperus virginiana (Eastern Red-cedar)... and some of it is quite purple(ish) in color.
It is actually a Juniper, not a true Cedar, and should not be confused with the Western Red Cedar.
The bark peels off in long string-like pieces leaving behind that "stringy" look on a log.
'Round here they pop-up like weeds in unused pastures, grasslands and ditches.
I have two transplanted Red Ceder in my front yard about 15-20 feet high now... the bird love 'em.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I had a couple Black Walnut logs I stacked behind the barn for years. I was pleasantly surprised when I milled them, the very white sapwood had all turned just as dark as the heartwood, no line of difference at all. No idea what you have, Joe.

Looks like we got it narrowed down to Walnut or Red Cedar. if the Op would just cut and smell it we could settle this.

I am certain that it’s not cedar; I’ve cut enough cedar and know the distinctive smell. Again, the photo quality is poor but I believe it is walnut.
Thanks

I am certain that it’s not cedar; I’ve cut enough cedar and know the distinctive smell. Again, the photo quality is poor but I believe it is walnut.
Thanks

Both species have a distinctive smell. Cut into it and you should know.

That really looks like cedar - I have some pieces in the back yard that when freshly split have the same color and texture. Pinkish/purple when freshly split, then fading to gray after weathering. Like fj40 said: the smell should be very distinctive if it is cedar, but to find out, I'd give it a fresh split first.

Can't mistake the smell of red cedar.
The inner bark of Black Walnut is papery/stringy, kinda like the outer bark of red cedar. The lung disease you get from breathing Walnut dust is called 'Purple Lung' for a reason...just sayin...

with out a doubt its, black walnut, and very well seasoned. I've cut one up not to long ago for a friend who needed a mantle, and it was aged about the same

Back