Put 029Super coil on 028 WB? Anyone done it?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dhamlin

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi guys, Love the site! Learned a lot about stuff here.

OK, I have read that people have put these coils on points saws like the 028 but I would like to hear from someone who has actually done it. I have some concerns about timing. I have just got an o28 that is beautiful. I dont want to poke any holes through the piston because of timing issues. Has anyone put one of those coils on an 028 and run it for some time? Also is the flywheel ok to run from the points saw as well?
Thanks in advance
Dave

The 029 uses a 0000-400-1300. The replacement ignition for the 028 is the same. The igntion HT wire length may be different, but it just unscrews.

if your points system works, I'd leave it alone. Better spark for starting...

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply lakeside

How is that possible when the 029 has a chip in it and the 028(that I have) uses points?

BTW I did swap the HT wire:)

The "chip" (not really a "chip" in this case) is in the ignition... all it sees is the voltage induced from the FW magnets. The rest is magic unless you are into electroincs (then it's butt simple;)

:) My point is how could it be a replacement when one has points and the other does not?
My dealer said it might not work. I would think he would know if stihl recommends a pointless coil for a replacement part?

Well, it definately works, I just hope it works for a while:)

Thanks again for all the helpfull information on this site!

:) My point is how could it be a replacement when one has points and the other does not?
My dealer said it might not work. I would think he would know if stihl recommends a pointless coil for a replacement part?

See post #4.

yes,, it's the recommend replacement...

Has been OK here lately, but my e-bay is on hold until after my wife's surgery

Had to waste a day on jury duty today, that didn't help much. Interesting trial though. A dui case and the guy got off. Of course his lawyer probably cost a lot more than any dui conviction, still interesting

Had to waste a day on jury duty today, that didn't help much. Interesting trial though. A dui case and the guy got off. Of course his lawyer probably cost a lot more than any dui conviction, still interesting

Cops I work with say just dont blow if you get pulled over. Lose your license for a year. No biggie. :confused:

Back