Put the $24 Tach through its paces today

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CUCV said:
With the super price on these tach's I figure why not have one on every saw. So this was my first stab, I did a quick run tonight and plan to cut all day tomorrow.

I might just have to do that with my saws, great idea CUCV! My only reserve would be I wonder how long the tach would hold up with all the chips and dirt and vibration? Oh well as cheap as they are it wouldn't matter if they took a dump, and then a few dollars more for a new filter cover.

Good point, AJ. CUCV let us know how the vib thing goes. I might try velcro and some close cell padding on my setup. I am not going to cut a hole in my 066. I'll just glue it and be able to remove using the velcro.

It just smacked me in the face, your idea is great for this
Everyone always ask, what's the rpms are in the cut. Well your idea will do that too.
Let us know how it works.

Just tried it out on my 044 and my 026. I just don't like the fact that it is a little slow. Both my saws are little lean. The 044 was just over 14,000 and the 026 was at 14,300. But I had to hold them WOT for more than I wanted to. So I probably will go by ear more often than not.

Someone asked, so here it is...

The EDT8 reads almost instant. with the saw idling, put the wire near the plug and its instantly reads.....wind it up, and the tach follows the rpms up....I held them at wot for 2-3 seconds just to make sure I was getting a steady reading.

I put in a nice day of cutting on Friday but didn't put as much time on the 365 with tach as expected, just 2 tanks of fuel. I took 4 saws and three of them I was trying out a new mods and I did a ton of chipping. The tach held up great, didn't fall out or fall apart. The tach is extremely slow to refresh in comparison to my old stihl tach. It is all over the place when limbing and blocking small logs. However, when blocking 12" dia plus logs or ripping it is a great tool, It would be a great setup for milling. It will be a great tool for monitoring engine rpm in the wood for future mods, different chains, bars lengths and sprockets.

The tach placement is great, easy to see, low profile and out of the way. I will silicone it in place, one to ensure that it won't fall out and two it will probably help dampen vibration.

I bought a Stihl EDT 5 on e-bay, have not received it yet.
But I think I will also buy one of the cheap ones, I have a extra
top cover for my 066 milling saw and mount it on it. I think it would
be real nice on a milling saw. Milling is very dusty and I'm always
worried about the filter, the mounted tach mite help me with that
by watching the RPMs. It would be neat anyway.

CUCV said:
The tach is extremely slow to refresh in comparison to my old stihl tach. It is all over the place when limbing and blocking small logs. However, when blocking 12" dia plus logs or ripping it is a great tool, It would be a great setup for milling. It will be a great tool for monitoring engine rpm in the wood for future mods, different chains, bars lengths and sprockets.

The tach placement is great, easy to see, low profile and out of the way. I will silicone it in place, one to ensure that it won't fall out and two it will probably help dampen vibration.
The $14-$24 cheapie Tach has a 2.5 seconds for refresh, compared to the .5 second on the $100 tachs.

Thanks for the link. The key word there is APPROXIMATE 1 second relay time.
I ran mine side to side with one that refreshed every .5 and it took 2 seconds or better for my cheapie tach to refresh.
So I do know for my better saws, a .5 refresh tach is to be had soon.

SenDEC STS-5000 tach

Sorry to revive a thread that was already 6 pages deep, but looking at tachs, does anyone have a SenDEC STS-5000 from Bailey's? I wouldn't mind having a tach for the obvious reasons, but the 10 -15 second (sometimes more as reported here) reading times of the cheapie worry me a little when it comes to running WOT for that amount of time. Does anyone know the performance of the SenDEC? Does it read faster than that of the cheapie? Is it comparable to the Stihl tach? Any info would be appreciated.

From what i read on Bailey's tach, it's refresh rate was 1.5 seconds and the better tachs refresh at .5 second and the cheapie tach is 2.5 seconds. So it seems to fall between the group in speed and price range.

Gnd or N terminal

I attached a ground wire to mine today and tried it out. I couldn't tell much difference with a ground connection or without it. I juiced the throttle a bunch of times to get the numbers up then held it WOT and my Makita was topping out at about 13,300 rpm. Specs call for 12,500 to 13,000 so I adjusted it down to 12,800. I then set my idle to 2,500. That was the easiest part. I didn't like having to hold the saw at WOT for as long as I had to...I get a little anxious after about 5 to 7 seconds.
What is a reasonable and generally accepted length of time that one can hold a saw at WOT?

Brad , I talked to a Mr. Winkleman at ENMCO and he told me that the N terminal is used for engines that have a false pulse ignition that lowers emissions . You might try wrapping the pickup wire 3 to 4 turns midway between the coil and the plug . Placing the ground wire away from the coil and the plug couldn't hurt either .

How did that tach test out against the stihl tach? I noticed amicks super store now carries them.

They work and you get your moneys worth. But if you do alot of taching and switching adjustments on alot of different saws as I do. The stihl tachs are worth the extra money.
My cheapie tach hasnt been used since i got my EDT-5.
The cheapie tach refresh rate is 2.5 seconds.
Bailey's tach refresh rate is 1.5 seconds, still to slow IMO.
The stihl tachs refresh at .5 seconds.
There is some others that refresh at .5 seconds out there and might be on this thread. Faster is better, as i have found out.
Some have mounted the cheapie tachs in their saws and can keep a idea of the rpm's milling and in the cut. Which I thought was a cool idea.
Hope this helps some.

Price was $24 shipped, buy 3 or more they were $14 shipped.

I think it's to slow, I ordered a Stihl EDT-7.
Maybe I should mount the cheapie thach on the 372xpg ,,,,,
Due to Stihl here in Sweden the EDT-7 also take the new coils that the EDT-8 takes, the 7 seems too have more settings thats why I decided to order it.

Questons for Mr. Lakeside

You trying to race or use a serious saw..? Shall I order you a new piston? How about a jug and a new crank too.

You may be able to WOT your 066 at that RPM, but you're going to melt the piston. Way too lean... ported or not. No enough fan cooling... and your rod big end? hmmm... I have plenty to show you that have failed - insufficient lube at high rpm...

In all seriousness... turn it back... and re-jet it if you have to...

Can you tell me what type of jet you would use?..and would you have to drill the carb ?....would the final effect be .... more fuel in the air mix?...

Back