Put the $24 Tach through its paces today

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Cut for that tach link, I just ordered myself one. You chainsaw and arborists wave your magic wands, and I smile. :chainsaw:

I wish it would give a faster reading, but the price was right. I freak out screaming the 357 WOT out of the wood long enough to get a good reading.
I think I will just tape it onto the saw for a while to get rpm in the cut.

I just got done playing with the little cheap $24 tach today. I had richened up my 066 some for big wood cutting and it tached at 15,460 rpms. I then checked my stock 5000 plus that i had set by ear, it was 13,300 rpms.
I then messed with winter project 5000 and my by ear was way off on it, it tached 15,340 rpms, reset it down to 13,300 now too. Even though I know the max can go to 14K on the 5000's stock.
I then put my husky 357 on the tach. I had just switched it over to 40-1 mix and adjusted the carb by ear a week or so ago to cut up a tree. It was running at 13,800 rpms. Now I know i can lean it out some more. So in all, glad i got it to check my by ear adjustments. I also noticed that if you hold your finger on the top right silver ground on the back you do get alittle quicker readings. It took me 10-15 secs tops.
http://enmco.thomasnet.com/item/enm...?&plpver=1001&origin=keyword&by=prod&filter=0

I got the same tach (I think) from Amick's for $21.95. I considered connecting jumper from ground lug to cylinder but when it worked without that connection I blew it off. I'll have to try it.

Back