Putting a Feed Wheel on a C&D

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smokey350

Reaction score
I just got my first chipper, a Vermeer 1200. The chipper works good on the straight stuff an the 4-cyl Ford purrs nicely.

I was wondering if anyone ever tried to put a feed wheel on one of these beasts? Seems like all that would need to be done is extending the chute a couple feet, hook up a small hydraulic system, and maybe get a salvage feed wheel and bearings. And a little machine work to mount all the stuff.

I really cant see any safety concerns here, and any type of feed would definately be better than none.

The parts shouldnt cost that much, and Id be turnig a $4000 chipper into a $12000 one.

Comments appreciated. Thanks.

Here is a couple key questions:

1. Can you do 90% iof the fab and welding yourself?

2. Does the machine already have an adequate supply of hydraulic fluid?

--

If you can do the Fab you will save a lot! Otherwise it wouldbt cost effective. To mcuh design and engineering time involved.

If you need to plumb for hydraulics then you need the correct pump, a valve and a tank. Them you need a properly geared hydraulic motor. These hydraulics could run over $1000 easy if bought new. Ebay closer to $500 to $700 for used maybe some new like the tank and hoses.

It could be done but I suspect there is more invloved than you think. If you got the fab skills and time, sure go for it!

The salvaged feed wheel would need to be reversing, or at least stoppable and you'll need to fabricate the levers for that as well...in the end you are reinventing the wheel.

If you can do this type of fabrication, you could make more as a machinist than a tree worker, plus, I would like a microwave oven with a toaster that pops out of the side.:hmm3grin2orange:

RedlineIt

In my opinion a chuck n duck is a safer machine to operate than an auto feed.

I have never heard of a person being pulled through a chuck n duck.

In my opinion a chuck n duck is a safer machine to operate than an auto feed.

I have never heard of a person being pulled through a chuck n duck.

There has been many, although it didnt pull them all the way through. I think they are both equally dangerous.

Err umm aint the entire Vermeer BCxxxx series equipped with feed rollers ? Atleast the BC1800 is, so is the smaller 6" capacity vermeers as far as i´ve seen.

mitts and merrill make a self feeder chuck n duck havn't never used one but overrall it looks like a good machine

There has been many, although it didnt pull them all the way through. I think they are both equally dangerous.

I'd rather loose an arm or leg than my torso.... But then I'd never be stupid enough to stick my leg up in the shoot either. People just respect and fear the chuck n duck so they stand back.

Thanks for the replys, guys....I guess the model is just a 1200, not a bc1200. I didnt get any paperwork with it, but it has just "1200" on the side.....looks like Ill just wait to buy a brush bandit when I can.

I did have the chipper out for a trial run, and it chipped about $1000 dollars woth of jobs into just one flatbed-boxed Chevy truck....they definately will make money for you, so Ill just run her like that for a while......

Back