putting in a outside chimney

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fred bergman

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
we want to add a wood stove to a older 2 story house, the roof is a 8/12 pitch, so I cant climb on it, so I was going to run a selkirk ultra- temp stainless steel chimney through the wall and run it up the outside of the house. ive read that a outside chimney don't draw very good, any one run one outside with any luck ?

we want to add a wood stove to a older 2 story house, the roof is a 8/12 pitch, so I cant climb on it, so I was going to run a selkirk ultra- temp stainless steel chimney through the wall and run it up the outside of the house. ive read that a outside chimney don't draw very good, any one run one outside with any luck ?
I've had one just like that on the outside of my house for 12 years. Have never had a problem with it not drawing. Only when the weather is kind of warm, we might get a down draft. (before you start the fire) Then we just open two inside windows for 5 minutes and it reverses the air flow up the chimney. Have also had a few chimney fires and you don't have nearly as much to worry about with it on the outside. Mine is a double walled stainless steel selkirk chimney, also.

I have a triple wall stainless steel chimney works great. I clean it every year just because. It never has a dangerous amount of soot but I like to be safe for the 5 minutes it takes to clean

Got stove in basement going out n up my old 2 story farmhouse. I had some backdraft early but added 4" fresh air to stove and no problems once it going. Have had a few times taking a while to get draft. It is 6" stainless double wall Selkirk brand.

I think if i added 2-3' to top of chimney it would help cause I have trees next to the house that are a bit taller than peak. But, it would be a PITA to clean. I guess would just remove top section.....anyway. should be good to go

I have 20 feet of dura vent triple wall on the outside of my house. It does fine now that I extended it above my roof line cleans easy and assembly/ disassembly is a breeze

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's what I do.

My problem is I need a 30' or so extension ladder to get to my chimney. I can just twist cap off now, while ladder is extended laying on roof. I got steel on roof too so it is slick n steep. Maybe next year will try another section, but may have to add another brace, which would be a PITA.

It works great when got a fire going 24/7. Seems early season is when I fight it.

Well at least for me I was trying to save money and tried to just got above my eave well that wasn't working to well with the stove drafting cold. In the end I ended up buying another section and that straitened it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aside from climbing once to install (and 8/12 is certainly doable) what's the issue? Just clean from the bottom. I can't even clean mine from the roof, it's too tall. It'd be a pain to pull it apart, the seams are all sealed plus the pipe has a brace.

Cleaning from the bottom must be messy. I used to pull the brush up with a rope and always had my wife in the basement attaching the brush to the rope and holding the bucket. She hated chimney cleaning time lol. Then I bought the sticks and stand on the roof and brush it.

mustang71, instead of using a rope and pulling your brush up, go to your local farm store and buy 20' (or whatever length you need) of 5/16" chain, connect to your brush with a harbinger (or whatever you call them) stand on your ladder, drop the chain down the chimney first, then go down on the ground and pull the chain down, with the brush attached, removing your lower cleanout pipe section with the ash bucket underneath, and holy cow you've got a clean chimney! you probably will want to hit it a second time, but 98% of the ash will be cleaned out on the first run.

Cleaning from the bottom must be messy. I used to pull the brush up with a rope and always had my wife in the basement attaching the brush to the rope and holding the bucket. She hated chimney cleaning time lol. Then I bought the sticks and stand on the roof and brush it.

I just let the stove go cold, slid the telescopic pipe up, stick the brush it, and tape a trash bag to the end of the pipe, just leave a small hole for the cleaning rod. No mess in the house.

Many emphasize on the insulated chimney but neglect the "STOVE PIPE" that delivers the smoke/heat/draft to the insulated chimney.. I am too lazy today to write in detail but the crimped end of the pipe HAS to be on the bottom or point towards the stove (away from the chimney) this is thought to allow any creosote that forms to drain back to the stove/furnace. This is true enough but the most important is that by installing pipe this way fittings do NOT let as much external air into the inside of the stove pipe (Venting through the crimped connection) prior to the chimney and stifle/cool draft/smoke inside the chimney. Imaginate if you will the fitting with crimped(spigot) end up letting air slipstream right through connection with minimal change in direction but with crimped end down air has to be sucked (Drafted) down and then make a 180 degree directional change once inside the stove pipe. Chimney needs to stay fairly warm (at least 250 F 300 F is better) (IMO) Also remember you are burning the SMOKE not the wood and it takes heat to make smoke I have installed a few chimneys in my time AND CORRECTED some bad installs .. Years ago I had so many questions and minimal sources of information. I helped my Dad build a chimney in the Sixties and we called it our Government Addition (It WAS CROOKED / Full of Hot Air / Did NOT work as we wished) so many more thoughts on this subject But enough for now.

I just let the stove go cold, slid the telescopic pipe up, stick the brush it, and tape a trash bag to the end of the pipe, just leave a small hole for the cleaning rod. No mess in the house.
Been doing the same way for years.Very little mess to clean up.

Had one on the woodstove in the insulated 15x20 porch/mudroom added on to our old early 70's trailer house growing up. Plain black double-wall stovepipe coming out of the stove up to triple wall stainless going through the wall and the upright section on the outside with a raincap. Had a clean-out trap on the outside too. Never had any problems with smoke getting back into the house, even wrapped up tighter than a drum with plastic and hay bales around the base on the outside that old trailer house was as airtight as a corncrib.

Latest posts

Back