Quality chainsaw with guaranteed parts availability

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wellsy

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Can anyone out there in chainsaw world recommend a quality brand that has an established reputation for parts availability 15 or more years down the track ie after the sale. I'm rather disappointed with Stihl's policy of "no more parts" ten years after manufacture of a particular model. A friend told me Husqvarna, while a quality brand, are no better than Stihl when it comes to long term parts availability. Does anyone know anything about Sachs-Dolmar in this regard?

Regards,
Wellsy

Best bet is to purchase a very popular saw. If the manufacture discontinues parts, ebay and aftermarket will keep you in good supply. The husqvarna 372xp is a great choice and the dolmar 7900 would also be another. What CC saw are you looking for??

MCW is the guy you need to talk to since he is in Australia he is a sponsor here he would know more about the saws in that area i heard from some folks that the metrics are different over there than they are here in the states so check with him on this

calvin

Also Mark H knows alot on the mcculloch line and some others are familiar with the saws over there

now if you were thinking old school parts on old school i am good at on locating

Last edited:
I'm rather disappointed with Stihl's policy of "no more parts" ten years after manufacture of a particular model. A friend told me Husqvarna, while a quality brand, are no better than Stihl when it comes to long term parts availability.

Neither is anybody else. You're disappointed with 10 years? What world are you living in? :dizzy:

Neither is anybody else. You're disappointed with 10 years? What world are you living in? :dizzy:

+1 What manufacturer of any product is carrying parts out farther? In this economy of empty supply shelves and lower overhead it's not likely to get better.

Face it, we live with a disposable society and the manufacturers have adapted their business models that way.

+1 What manufacturer of any product is carrying parts out farther? In this economy of empty supply shelves and lower overhead it's not likely to get better.

Face it, we live with a disposable society and the manufacturers have adapted their business models that way.

Still get most any part I need for 30+ year old farm machinery at the local dealer, red or green.

My gunsmith buddy was able to find a firing pin for a 141 Remington pump for me, gun dates to the 60's. Not sure if that was OEM or reproduction though.

Best bet is to purchase a very popular saw. If the manufacture discontinues parts, ebay and aftermarket will keep you in good supply.

I agree with this. Go to ebay & type in "homelite xl12" and see if you cant find ANY part you could ever need for one.

Its unlikely there's any manufacturer out there who will continue to sell parts for their older saws, Stihl, Husky, Dolmar - whatever - so keeping with a quality brand, popular saw will most likely be your best bet.

Still get most any part I need for 30+ year old farm machinery at the local dealer, red or green.

+1 Some parts are still available for our 1939 Farmall H through the local dealer. This 10 years BS is just that, BS, meant to be an excuse for companies to make more money (sell a new saw vs. parts) rather than serve their customer base.

Chainsaw parts

Thanks to those blokes who provided a quick, courteous and informative response. Through this site I was able to resurrect my old (30 years) Stihl 031av despite local dealers at Blackheath and Lithgow informing me the saw was 'past it' as parts were no longer available; in my case points and condenser. I felt there had to be a solution to the problem; I just couldn't figure what it was but another thread on Arboristsite provided the answer. The saw is now cutting as well as the day I bought it back in early 1980.

Thanks again,
Wellsy

Those 10 years is 10 years after the model is discontinued, as far as I know....

Going with a popular model is a good idea!

Yep, and yep.

Hmmmmm. Is anyone else wondering how asking for advice on a miracle saw maker turned into finding a part for an old saw?

Wellsy, if you wanted to find parts for your old saw, why didn't you just ask about parts for your old saw, instead of asking for a recommendation for a miracle saw maker that supports obsolete models forever?

:dizzy:

Last edited:

My gunsmith buddy was able to find a firing pin for a 141 Remington pump for me, gun dates to the 60's. Not sure if that was OEM or reproduction though.

My point was regarding OEM, new production parts for long discontinued models. I realize their are some well established dealerships/service shops that carry large lots of old stock. But those good shops are dindling, too expensive to carry that overhead.

Go to your local car/truck dealership and order a common part for a recent model, see if they have it on a shelf. You'll be surprised what has to be ordered, or worse, back-ordered these days...... I recently needed a commonly replaced sensor on my 04 Silverado, was told it was going to be two to three weeks to get the back ordered part. In other words I would have to wait for the part to be made to receive it. I lucked out, have a good dealership and they dug around for one from another dealership in another state.

Overall you are correct though, stuff is stihl out there for popular equipment if one is persistant and knows where to look.

BlueRidgeMark,
In the case of my 031av the solution was to install an electronic ignition module, remove the half-moon crankshaft key and advance the magneto 25mm counter-clockwise (to advance the timing) before bolting it back down and reassembling the saw; worked like a charm, restoring full rpm and accompanying cutting power. The gentleman who responded was obviously very knowledgeable.
The original question on this thread regarding long term parts supply was with the view of purchasing a new saw if I couldn't resurrect the old Stihl.
Hope this clears up any confusion/misunderstanding.

Regards,
Wellsy

Back