Quality of Aftermarket Cylinder/Piston Sets

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RES

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Does anyone have any information on the aftermarket Cylinder/Piston sets that are available for Stihl saws? I think some are made in Italy. How does the quality compare to the original equipment?

after market parts

iv,e used a lot of these parts supplied by by a firm here in the uk but yes i think they are made in italy. used them on stihl 360 and 400 series disc cutter.but i always used sthil piston rings, found them softer more pliable than other so i reccon they seal better and i always used sthil main bearings.but have used all other engine parts inc. crank ass. and found them to be A ok. saws have a hard life, my brothers a stone mason and he,s cutting raw lime and sand stone with them week in week out, so they have been well tested!. regards, NED.

Hi Res,

I only know about Mahle www.mahle.com (Maker of the original Stihl cylinders & pistons) and Tecomec www.tecomec.it (Italy) who do a lot of aftermarket Stihl, Husqvarna and Dolmar stuff.

Ned, I struggle to find a good supplier in the UK. Who do you use? Are you paying retail or trade?

Dan

What about them GB pistons and rings sold on ebay... Any good?? I will never buy after market but just wondering..

Allan.K

Allan.K said:
What about them GB pistons and rings sold on ebay... Any good?? I will never buy after market but just wondering..

Allan.K

I just bought a GB 46mm replacement piston for a husky 55 that I want to get running. The piston looks decent, and appears to be forged. It is more that I was expecting for the 30 bucks I spent on it. Will let you know after I fire it up tomorrow.

Steve

after market parts

Dan, the people you should contact are L&S ENGINEERS, BROWNHILLS, WALSALL. Tel. no 01543 378189. they are really helpfull will accept private or trade and delivery is fast. iv,e used them for ten years or more. hope this helps you, regards, Ned.

Chinese jugs an pistons

Does anyone have any information on the aftermarket Cylinder/Piston sets that are available for Stihl saws? I think some are made in Italy. How does the quality compare to the original equipment?

I was looking on Ebay and saw the China parts were about half the price ? Has anyone ran these chinese cylinders & pistons ?

My time is valuable and I dont want to do the job twice.

If you're going to use after market parts the meteor pistons are nice. The cylinder kits I would stick with baileys as they will take care of you if you have a problem.

Latest posts

Back