Question about a small saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alderman

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I recently picked up a used Shindaiwa 360. The saw starts as usual on a cold start procedure and will go on one pull if I don't let it sit for more than 10 minutes. After that I must use the cold start procedure to get it to fire again. Is it normal for this size saw to cool so quickly? If not, what would you suggest I try in order to get it to fire up semi warm?:bang:

Thanks

Cold start

Alderman,
From the information that you have given I would suspect that your engine may need to be richened up on the low side of the carb. Possibly even stepping up the idle speed a notch. With the choke on, this increases the idle speed, and richens it up.Hope this may help,Ken

Info much appreciated

I increased the idle speed a bit this afternoon but haven't got a chance to try it. If I were to richen up on the low end of the carb how much additional turn of the screw would be a good starting point? Another thing I discovered after posting originally is there is no screen in the muffler. Would this have much affect on how the saw acts?

Cold start

Alderman,
First off when you do make an adjustment do it at a quarter of a turen, counter-clockwise, on the screw CLOSEST to the cylinder! Give this a try and see what happens. Ken

buck futter said:
fast idle.
After sitting for as much as 10 minutes, I agree that "fast idle" is the position to start it in. How long the saw can sit before needing fast idle will vary from saw to saw, and by how warm it were to begin with.

If that doesn't work, adjustments to the carb may be necessary.

Update on saw

I tweaked both the idle and the low end carb setting up a bit on this saw.

Ran it today for quite awhile cleaning up some small stuff. Probably started it 3 dozen times and it started first pull every time but once. After cleaning it up and sharpening the chain I decided to see if it would start with the fast idle setting since it had been down for about 20 minutes. She fired up on the second pull.
Thanks for the tips.:blob2:

Latest posts

Back