Question about burning pine in stove.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

creaid

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I did a search and found where someone said be careful if your stove had a catalytic converter. How would I know if my stove has a catalytic converter? I have access to lots of pine but don't want to take any chances. The stove was in my house when i purchased it about a year ago, I know it has triple wall pipe. Also would 8 or 9 months be long enough to season? Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
Talk to the guy I bought the house from earlier and the stove is 30 years old. He bought it from a local who built them. The ago should answer my question. It's hard to believe the age, It looks brand new.

Treeco is right, get the manual. Pine is ok, as long as it is seasoned well, like any other wood. Is pine ok? comes up often here, some say it isn't, but they don't know nothing. Some people burn nothing but pine, cause thats all there is where they are. For a long time, no problems.

I asked this question a while back here. Im gonna start burning about 50/50 pine/elm. I came across an endless supply and just cant pass it up. If I have to clean out my chimney once or twice more a year it is still worth it. The ponderosa i came across is charred on the outside and still fine on the inside of the bark. Its a pretty good situation actually, it is all being logged after a big fire. Most of the resin in the bark is gone!!

Treeco is right, get the manual. Pine is ok, as long as it is seasoned well, like any other wood. Is pine ok? comes up often here, some say it isn't, but they don't know nothing. Some people burn nothing but pine, cause thats all there is where they are. For a long time, no problems.

He said it's an old custom built stove. Doubt there's a manual.

I also do the 50-50 burn. I mix red cedar in with the elm.

just went out to try and split some green big pine by hand. I think im gonna wait for it to dry a bit.:censored: oh well, free wood is free wood.

I burn a lot of pine in my stove without any trouble. It does burn hot:rock: I mean really hot if your not careful:givebeer: Just make sure its dry.

Talk to the guy I bought from again today and he said he loved burning pine. Said he burned it for twenty years with no problems. His only suggestion was to mix hardwood at night for a longer burn.

Talk to the guy I bought from again today and he said he loved burning pine. Said he burned it for twenty years with no problems. His only suggestion was to mix hardwood at night for a longer burn.

Ive also heard that if you burn it overnight to get a hot fire going for at least 30 minutes in the morning to burn out some of what may have collected.

Ive also heard that if you burn it overnight to get a hot fire going for at least 30 minutes in the morning to burn out some of what may have collected.

That's good advice. I like to let mine rip from the time I get up until I start the truck for work. Approx 40 min. :blob2:

Tough to do when the weather starts to warm a little though. Don't need the house to be 80!

Go nuts....seasoned pine burns hot,fast,and it won't make anymore creosote than other firewoods.It also leaves little to no ash,and that is a very good thing.:rock:

Hello,
I burn a lot of pine in my wood stove, however, I let it season for a couple years before burning it. If it is really dry, it can almost be lighted with a match. I also burn it hot and don't let it smolder. I have never had any problems !

Latest posts

Back