Question about how firewood is stacked

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

memory

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
This may be a stupid question but I just have to get some opinions on this. In my woodshed, normally I stack my wood in rows going the length of the building and I figure that is how everybody stacks their wood. Lets say I stack the wood the opposite way, would I be able to get more wood in the building? I am guessing no or everybody would be stacking this way.

Crap, someone move this to the firewood forum.

Depends on how consistent your firewood length is. If there is variation in length, then you will fit more by stacking longways. It shouldn't be an noticeable difference, however, unless the variation is extreme. On the other hand, if you have trusses or other obstructions in your shed, then you will fit more stacking shortways because you'll be more able to use the space between trusses.

Depends on how consistent your firewood length is. If there is variation in length, then you will fit more by stacking longways. It shouldn't be an noticeable difference, however, unless the variation is extreme. On the other hand, if you have trusses or other obstructions in your shed, then you will fit more stacking shortways because you'll be more able to use the space between trusses.

Stacking it into the trusses? That's some serious stacking.

Minimize Air Gaps

This may be a stupid question but I just have to get some opinions on this. In my woodshed, normally I stack my wood in rows going the length of the building and I figure that is how everybody stacks their wood. Lets say I stack the wood the opposite way, would I be able to get more wood in the building? I am guessing no or everybody would be stacking this way.

If you think about it, the idea is to stack to minimize air gaps. Usually this will be done with longer rows rather than shorter ones because you waste more air at the ends. The logs tend to interlock and knock out air when side by side, but the flats along the wall going vertically will tend to generate air space.

Regardless, we are probably only talking about a 5% to 10% difference inside a typical shed. The primary consideration should be ease of stacking and removal. If you intend to pack the whole shed, it might be better to start at the back and work your way toward the door.

Seasoning is another major factor. Try to stack the greenest logs (and the species that take the longest to dry) first and the dryest logs last because the last logs you stack are usually the first ones that you burn. Stacked inside a packed enclosure or shed usually works out to be a LIFO system (Last In First Out).

Stacking it into the trusses? That's some serious stacking.

Some angle iron trusses are constructed where there are two sections welded together at the ridge. They go from the ridge all the way to the ground. The siding is nailed to one side of them, and the roof to the top side. These stick out inside the shop all the say to the ground. Much easier to show with a picture.

Yeah this definetly should have been over in firewood, there are guys over there who can tell you why you are all kinds of wrong. First you'll need to know which way your building is facing, how long your splits are +/- .060" what phase the moon is on when you're stacking, which way the wind is blowing, the barometric pressure, and last but not least, the moisture content and variety of the wood. :laugh: Good luck!

Done

Up to now I have built 40-50 cubic meter ridges on sandy ground
starting them up by just trowing some cubic meters of small stuff
in the (intended) middle and then buildning it up by putting vert-
ical logs along the sides of the ridge - after the summer I cover
them with 6x10 meter heavy plastic (presenning?) - as they dry
well and do not rot this works well for me ... . Woodsheds I have
never seen any need of although adviced otherwise by knowledge-
able people.

Now I am buildning a 100 cubic meter ridge instead (I seems at
least ...).

As I am using no other means of heating (except when out of "town")
and use very big (not 100% efficient :) ) stone/brick owens I use
about 50 cubic meter firewood a year ... .

Anyway, as mentioned - it is important to cut the wood with Husky
to get optimal stacking properties :) .

Last edited:
I really didn't think it would make much of a difference. The only thing that got me thinking about this was I wouldn't have to worry about criss crossing the end pieces if I stacked in short rows since each end would be against the wall. Do you lose space by criss crossing pieces? Now that I think about it, it would cause more pain and headaches then good. It would make it harder to add wood to the shed. The building is 19'x12' and if my calculations are correct, it holds a hair more stacking long ways. And no trusses are not an issue.

As stated earlier, you should stack in whatever direction that allows the best access..... the amount of wood stored will not vary significantly.
The best plan would be to increase the size of the shed to accomadate the amount of firewood you would like to store - while providing good air circulation and easy access!

Yeah, it would be nice to have a bigger shed but that is not going to happen right now. The shed holds about 10 cords roughly if we fill it completely. We do have to stack wood outside but we just have to deal with it.

Normally we cut everything to 20" long. I am thinking about switching to 18", that way we could sell some if we wanted to. Most people that buy wood can't use 20" pieces. According to my calculations, the wood shed will hold 2 cords more if the pieces are 18" instead of 20".

Last edited:
People mention stacking as tight as possible... if you're loading the shed with green wood, won't you need air circulation to get that green wood to dry well, and not rot?

Usually you need not bother to stack etc until Fall-ish
or so and then the wood should have dried up suffici-
ently during summer - if cut before Eastern ... .

Yeah this definetly should have been over in firewood, there are guys over there who can tell you why you are all kinds of wrong. First you'll need to know which way your building is facing, how long your splits are +/- .060" what phase the moon is on when you're stacking, which way the wind is blowing, the barometric pressure, and last but not least, the moisture content and variety of the wood. :laugh: Good luck!

And if you are measuring by cord or face cord :)

Bottom line is that there won't be enough difference to measure unless there are obstructions. Priomary goal is to stack so you can use the "first in, first out" rotation method so the shed doesn't accumulate a bunch of ancient splits back in the far corners.

Harry K

Back