Question about MS440 discontinue

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4direct

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Just bought a new MS440 about 2 weekes ago, believe it or not, haven't had a chance to put it to wood yet....Question is, I learned here from looking in the archives that the 440 will cease production early 2007. Should the dealer have told me that this machine was going out of production? I understand that it is a great saw from what I've read here, but I am concerned about parts down the road. Should I not worry about it or try to trade up to a 441 or 460?
Thanks, Sam

4direct said:
Just bought a new MS440 about 2 weekes ago, believe it or not, haven't had a chance to put it to wood yet....Question is, I learned here from looking in the archives that the 440 will cease production early 2007. Should the dealer have told me that this machine was going out of production? I understand that it is a great saw from what I've read here, but I am concerned about parts down the road. Should I not worry about it or try to trade up to a 441 or 460?
Thanks, Sam
No worries Sam. Parts will be available for many years and the saw might be around for a little longer. If it does worry you then take it back and trade for the 441. It is gaining a reputation itself. I finally sold my 44 and don't miss it.

Robert

Nah man, don't sweat it. There will ALWAYS be parts around the 044. And switching up to a 460 won't do you much good because it's likely to follow the 440 down the road. The 440 is a fine saw, and I'd say not worth trading on 441 just for parts availability. Or really unless you're bored with it, but not having put it to wood yet, I say go run it and never look back.

Welcome to AS.

Jeff

thanks guys for the imput. I'm gonna let er rip this weekend. I really appreciate this site as I have learned so much about technique, ppe and even some of the mod stuff. Probably won't ever do any of that seeing how I don't do this stuff for a living, just like to get out in the woods, provide heat for the girlfriend, and know that I have a reliable saw.
Though when you tinker with the muffler, I know it lets the saw breathe better and better performance, but does it affect the long term life of the saw? I won't ever race or anything, except maybe the beavers down at the river:laugh: Is it something I should maybe consider down the road? And how would I find someone locally to do it?
Thanks again guys.
Sam

A muffler mod will only help your saw. It'll run cooler and stronger. A muffler mod on a 440 is the easiest thing in the world to do. Go to your dealer and buy the dual port muffler cover. It's part number is 1128 140 0801. Four screws out and bolt it on. Try a search on here for "dual port" or "044 muffler mod" or something to that effect, and you'll have three weeks worth of reading and pics. That's the best muffler mod on a 440. It'll cost ya bout $30 and about five minutes. You will have to readjust the carb afterword though...and again, tons of reading in those threads you'll find.

Jeff

Hey,Fishhuntcutwood, do you have a ported muffler on your 660 yet? If so is it a monster?:hmm3grin2orange: ;)

Preety soon when I get the rest of my saws, they will all have ports on them. Except the poulan.

Latest posts

Back