Question about old 028 WB clutch and sproket

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bleoh

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Seeing how this is my first post I guess I should introduce myself. I have been burning firewood for a while and just recently installed a wood insert. As a matter of fact, I installed the insert about a month ago, right when the weather turned warm again, so it is my fault!

My insert is a Quadrafire 4100.

IMG_5525.jpg

Here it is coming home in my F150 wood hauler.

IMG_5522.jpg

My splitter is an MTD 27 ton that I, my brother, the neighbor up the street, and a couple of friends from my church/Boy Scout troop have used hard since 2003. The trunnion just broke a month ago and was repaired. Also in this picture is my garden tractor for moving wood around the yard and my two "volunteer" workers.

IMG_5519.jpg

I also just picked this up with the idea of using it for larger firewood scores (and other chores).

PKLeftsiderear.jpg

My brother also heats with wood. He has two inserts in his house. I share the splitter and he shares his Stihl 361 with me.

I have been reading this site for a little while and think it is great. I have had many experiences similar to what I have read here, like loaning tools and the discussions with the wife about taking down trees that are at the end of their life and too close to the house. "But I like the shade and privacy."

IMG_4624treejustfell.jpg

Anyway, why I am posting. I have an old 028 WB I bought used in 1997. I have had to replace the ignition with the electronic and had the carb rebuilt, but other then that it has been a great saw. My kids like it because it says "Made in West Germany" on the side. Not long after cutting the @$%%^ pine tree off my house the clutch started slipping real bad, real fast. I would like to fix this myself and was wondering what you thought.

The clutch drum and sprocket are the two piece design (I think it is the older version). The sprocket is "slightly" warn down and needs to be replaced.

IMG_5593.jpg

Will the Oregon replacement kit I read about in my searches here, # 30384, work on this saw? I have not been able to find this type of sprocket yet and the Oregon kit looks like an upgrade.

On the drum and clutch, is there something I can measure to tell for sure what is worn out? The drum shows wear, as well as the clutch. There seems to be too much room between the clutch shoes and the drum, with the bearing out the drum does not seem to hit the clutch when moved side to side on the shaft. The clutch shoes do move when pried out with a screwdriver, so they don't seem to be frozen.

IMG_5598.jpg

IMG_5596.jpg

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Brian.

I hit the picture limit on the last post. Here is what the clutch looks like. Heading over to the "beg for manuals" thread now..

IMG_5599.jpg

Latest posts

Back