Question about putting a roof over the wood pile

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

USMC0802

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
This might get a little long, but I'm trying to get the best, most accurate ideas/solutions.

I'm sick of tarps. Really sick of them. They rip way too easy and after the wind and 5+ inches of rain today, I'm done with them.

I've been doing a lot of searching for ideas on styles, etc on building a structure for the wood.

How much overhang should I leave to protect the wood from blowing wind and snow?

I have about 5 cords outside ready to burn this year, but we put a new stove in and I'm not sure how much we'll be using through the winter yet.

I'm debating on whether or not to put any walls on the structure.

Right now, a buddy and I cut together and all the wood is going to his place where we'll split, stack, and season it there. Then at some point before the burning season, I'll bring what I'll be burning for the winter to my place. That's the tentative plan at this point. We've quickly accumulated a lot more wood than I think either of us planned on, so I may end up keeping more than just one winter's worth of wood here depending on space at his place.

So, if I have unseasoned wood here, I probably shouldn't have any walls restricting air flow.

The property I own is rectangular with the narrow side being north-south. The wind typically blows west to east, but I don't have room to stack the wood north-south to get the most wind exposure to the stacks.

The pile out there now is stacked in two rows or splits with a gap in between, about 5-6' high, and a little over 40' long. If possible, I'd like to maintain that orientation, but the roof doesn't need to be 40' long. I can stack another row or two of splits and go higher with them if necessary.

These are all images from other threads:

I like this setup, just increase it to hold the wood I need:
shwood.jpg

newshed.jpg

http://arboristsite.com/showpost.php?p=1310906&postcount=1

This works:
100_0682.jpg

http://arboristsite.com/showpost.php?p=996638&postcount=1

But filled like this with wood that needs to season, I don't know if it would be dry enough unless it got more than year to season.
100_0827.jpg

Is this going to restrict air flow too much to dry wood out?
attachment.php

http://arboristsite.com/showpost.php?p=2391025&postcount=1

I like the tight stacks and how it's confined to a small space, but I don't see wood seasoning like this:
attachment.php

This looks good as well. Says it holds 5.5 - 6 cords.
attachment.php

http://www.arboristsite.com/showpost.php?p=1310066&postcount=34

If possible, I'd to avoid having stacked wood at my place to season that I have to move into a shed and restack later since I'll already be stacking wood at my buddy's place in the fall and then picking it up next year to bring to my place to stack again for that winter.

What to do?

It is all about air flow. If you can get the wind to blow thru it, and keep the rain off the inside rows. You will never keep the rain off the outside row, unless you have a really big overhang , but that gets filled with wood to.:dizzy: All the pics posted are good ideas, it comes down to what you like and fits in your yard.

Beefie

It is all about air flow. If you can get the wind to blow thru it, and keep the rain off the inside rows. You will never keep the rain off the outside row, unless you have a really big overhang , but that gets filled with wood to.:dizzy: All the pics posted are good ideas, it comes down to what you like and fits in your yard.

Beefie

8' deep north-south is going to be about the max I can go without feeling like it's crowding the back side of the house. I can probably go 60-80 feet long, but I don't want to build a pavilion, I want a woodshed.

I need to get outside with a measuring tape to see if I could put it out at the edge of the property running n-s to get more wind exposure to the length of the stacks rather than the ends.

Here's the most recent pic I have of the pile:
44410_464649307323_554472323_7045895_2360114_n.jpg

I can build in that area over the wood for sure and I have something in mind for another place to check out. Cripes that bank behind the pile needs some weed killer and work.

I stacked my wood out in the weather for years and got sick and tired of it. I built a large wood shed with open sides 10 years ago and life is good.

Dry wood is a wonderful thing :)

I stacked my wood out in the weather for years and got sick and tired of it. I built a large wood shed with open sides 10 years ago and life is good.

Dry wood is a wonderful thing :)

I'm definitely passed the point of making the decision to build. I'm on to deciding what/how to build.

The last picture in your first post is my woodshed.

I have it currently stuffed to the rafters, little over 6 cords.

I also replaced the pallets on the end walls with vertical boards, spaced about 1/2" to 1" apart. Gave me more room. The footprint is 8' deep by 16' wide and about 9-1/2' from existing grade to the front roof edge.

If I had the room, I would have made it a bit longer and not as deep - say, 6' deep by 20' or 24' long. Gives more surface area exposed to air.

Anyway, I built mine based partially on ideas I got here. Any roof is a good roof when it comes to drying out the woodpile - it's only a question of design.

An east west orientation will give the south sun on the woodpile, an advantage in drying windblown moisture.

Long and narrow offers advantages over square.

In dry weather I'll pull from that not protected by the overhang. Wet weather is the opposite.:)

rsz_dscn2446.jpg

Last edited:
I get great sub exposure on everything facing south. With west to east wind, I'm going to benefit more from the sun exposure on the southern most stack? Then I'll build it behind the house where the pike is now and I was thinking 6' deep and as high and long as necessary to get 6-8 cords under it.

I don't have any good pics but this spring (I was tired of tarps too) I built a wood shed that is 20' x 30' (No Sides), one whole side of the roof is Clear corogated plastic, thats the side the wood gets stacked under :) the other side is just galvanized (so I can work in the shade) I have a little over $1k in it, it makes me smile when it's pouring rain and my wood is dry (I did tarps for 8 years) I can back my 16' trailer full of wood under one side, with enough room behind to unload and split, then stack it on the other side with the clear roof :) I brought home a few thousand Lbs of wood today (it's backed under it right now)

I don't have any good pics but this spring (I was tired of tarps too) I built a wood shed that is 20' x 30' (No Sides), one whole side of the roof is Clear corogated plastic, thats the side the wood gets stacked under :) the other side is just galvanized (so I can work in the shade) I have a little over $1k in it, it makes me smile when it's pouring rain and my wood is dry (I did tarps for 8 years) I can back my 16' trailer full of wood under one side, with enough room behind to unload and split, then stack it on the other side with the clear roof :) I brought home a few thousand Lbs of wood today (it's backed under it right now)

Sounds awesome, but I don't have that much space to build something that big.

How durable is the plastic? If properly built would it withstand a good snow storm? I like the idea of a clear roof for when I build my new one!

What do you think the dimensions are on this design?

8 X 24. It holds 10.5 cords. The front is 8ft and the back is 6ft. Gives a 2ft slope over 10 foot of steel roof to shed snow and rain.

It is my shed and has served me well. Total cost with the steel roof upgrade over shingles 3 years ago was right at $350.

I haven't yet burned more than 7 cords in a winter. So max I will use 2 out of 3 sections worth of wood and the third section gets two years to dry undercover. Refill the two sections that I emptied in the spring and burn the driest wood late in the following winter after I use the two year old stuff first.

I'm definitely passed the point of making the decision to build. I'm on to deciding what/how to build.

Usually, there are "kits" all ready to build at local family owned home centers..

Personally, I wouldn't want open sides, or even semi boarded sides. I'd want a true walled shed with an opening (Doorway/arch) in front that was maybe 4-6 feet wide. I'd let my wood stay out in the sun all summer, and stack it in the shed come fall, all dried. Nothing worse than wood frozen together, covered in snow/ice from the wind..

How durable is the plastic? If properly built would it withstand a good snow storm? I like the idea of a clear roof for when I build my new one!

Those sheets will handle snow. A lot of people use them here, and we get a lot of snow !!!!

There are UV and non UV resistant types, make sure to get the UV stuff.

Usually, there are "kits" all ready to build at local family owned home centers..

Personally, I wouldn't want open sides, or even semi boarded sides. I'd want a true walled shed with an opening (Doorway/arch) in front that was maybe 4-6 feet wide. I'd let my wood stay out in the sun all summer, and stack it in the shed come fall, all dried. Nothing worse than wood frozen together, covered in snow/ice from the wind..

What about over the winter for seasoning wood? A buddy and I have a lot of wood to split in the next few weeks and it's stuff we want to burn next year.

Also, when does it go in the shed if it's not going to get any more wind/sun exposure?

If the wood is going to be dry before it goes in the shed, that's fine, but if it's not ready for the stove, it shouldn't be in there, right?

I haven't had any snow yet (It doesn't snow much here) but I have had some 60+mph winds, other than some Fluttering sounds it held up great.
I think the closer you put the Batten boards together the higher your snow load rating. it is tuff stuff, we where taking back some extra pieces to home depot, when I took it off the trailer and put it on the cart the wind blew so hard it lifted the plastic, I layed over the piece on the cart and the wind bent it (the plastic sheet) back 180* Basicly folding it in half, when I straightend it back there wasn't a crease mark, thats when I knew it was tough stuff.

What about over the winter for seasoning wood? A buddy and I have a lot of wood to split in the next few weeks and it's stuff we want to burn next year.

Also, when does it go in the shed if it's not going to get any more wind/sun exposure?

If I was letting my wood sun dry outside all summer in a pile, I'd put it in the shed at the last possible minute...say when daytime temps average 35*F..or the week before the first snow...assuming it had a while to dry off after any rains..usually 3-4 days is enough.

If the wood is going to be dry before it goes in the shed, that's fine, but if it's not ready for the stove, it shouldn't be in there, right?

You could have "shutters" or regular doors that can be opened for the summer to let the wood dry..that way green wood stacked in there can dry, and come winter you can close it up..

Back