question about replacement pistons

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haywire Haywood

Fiscal Conservative Social Retard
Reaction score
I have a 346XP with a scored piston. The dealer has offered me $50 for it for parts. Do they sell oversize piston/ring sets for chainsaws like they do cars? .010, .020, .030 over? I was thinking that if they do, I can just take the cylinder to the machine shop and have them bore it just enough to remove the score.

thanks,
Ian

It is not as simple as that in a 2 stroke. Your better off buying annew topend or if is beat to hell buy a new saw. 2 strokes have port timing to deal with among a whole ????e load of ther variables.

chainsaws do not have iron bores like a car or a sleeve in the cyl like most dirtbikes. they are plated alum. the old way was chrome plating but most since the late 80's are nikasil and are way way more durable. if the cylinder is not too bad it can be honed and just a piston/rings purchased. Baileys does sell aftermarket 346 pistons that come with the rings and pin for $34.95.
if you want me to hone your cylinder send it along with your muffler and i will hone for $11

here is a link to the piston:
http://store.baileys-online.com/cgi-bin/baileys/5446?mv_session_id=7aMfpaPw&product_sku=PKS 345

Unfortunately the scoring is the result of a stuck ring. It's 1/4" wide and fairly deep.

Ian

If there is enough bore thickness, plated cylinders can be bored and then replated. It may not be cost effective but you could look into it. I guess there are replacement cylinders as well but that may not be cost effective either.
Ian

Back