Question about Taco circulator pumps

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
More reliable than a Taco 007?

I hope thanksgiving is treating you all well.

I tend to experiment a lot. Being the kind of guy that I am, I have gone through quite a few pumps learning how to deal with my OWB. Based on what I have read, the grundfos pumps that compare to a taco 007 have a ceramic impeller shaft which should last a really long time -- providing you don't snap it by cavitation. I've snapped a couple of grundfos pump shafts...

Taco 007 pumps don't break outright, but I've had 2 get really noisy after 1.5 years or so each. Noisy to where you can't take it... but they still pump water.

I just lost a Bell and Gossett 100 yesterday, but it was on it's way out, the local plumb shop said the motor supports go bad due to over-oiling, which causes the motor to sit lower than the pump, which causes the union between the motor and pump to fail, which is what happened yesterday.

I was expecting a new taco 007 to come in the mail, but it's not here yet, so I had to shut down a zone and borrow a cartridge for one of my old taco 007s.

I have a question. What's the most reliable pump along the lines of a taco 007? Changing out pumps is starting to get a little tiresome. I think I'm done with cavitation issues now, so maybe go back to a grundfos?

I have a Taco 009 for my house loop and a 007 for my shop loop and both have been in service since 2001 on my Central Boiler with no problems. You guys sure have me thinking I am on borrowed time with these. Just wanted to chime in a good word for these pumps because they have been very reliable.:cheers:

Got pumps?

In reading this thread I had to ask myself if we (arboristsite.com) could hook up with a dealer and get a group purchase or special pricing on pumps. Maybe Grainger? Anyone have a hook somewhere that could help?

I think some of the variations in pricing people are seeing must be between the Taco bronze and cast iron pumps. PEX supply sells the entire Taco 007 cast iron pump for around $60. The bronze version of the 007 is around $200. I recently had a Taco 007 bronze pump fail, and I replaced the cartridge for about $75. Unfortunately that did not solve the problem. I have to take it off and investigate this weekend.

Taco 007

I've never had a bronze pump.

Not sure if my system is overly abusive? I do seem to go through pumps quite a bit. I'll be putting in a new one in the next day or so, as soon as it comes in. We'll see how long that lasts. I'll keep you posted.

Back