Question bout the 660

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SquamptonBushmn

Reaction score
Howdy ya'll, great to be here.... at the risk of sounding redundant: there is a wealth of info on here.. so thank you all.

Been doing some reading on the site here about the 660... I have had my eye on one for a while, and I think it would be a good addition to my collection. I have been reading about some other peoples set-ups on here and I remember reading a post somewhere, where somebody said that if you were running a shorter bar then they would go with a 9 pin sprocket... now... what would a shorter bar be?? 18-24"?? would have been my guess, but I'm just making sure. Seems like an 8 pin on a 28"+ bar seems standard. I would like to run my spare 25" bar on it, as I don't think I would need much more length... Just more speed! :chainsawguy:

Maybe I'll be picking up this puppy tomorrow so I'd like just get the parts and all in one swoop. As far as the Break in period... I am going to put off the DP for the first 4 or 5 tanks... but I should be safe with doing the sprocket change... Right?.

Thanks all,
Dan.

Get a 361 large bearing clutch drum rim style for the 26 - 3/8 .050 & 9 pin for both the 26 & 361 . Run the 8 pin on the 660 . Add 1 link to the 16" 18" or 20" chians. If you set it up like this it will give you the option of running the shorter bars on the 660. Once a link is added you wont be able to run a 7 pin with those chains. Not sure if things will work out that good running the 9 pin on the 25" bar for general use it may be prone to throwing the chain. Add 1 link to a 25" skip chain & try it out running the 9 pin on the 361 that way you can get a taste on weather your gonna like the set up. Doubble check the drum by removing it from the 361 & installing it on the 26 , it fits the 029 & 310 but had to grind off .010 in order to get the C clip on because of the large washer behind the clutch . If the 26 doesnt have the washer then it may be a go without the custom fitting. :chainsaw: :chainsaw:

No reason at all to buy a 660 just to run a 25" bar. A 460 is more than capable and weighs a lot less. Turns more RPMs as well.

I hear ya there, but I would like the option of running a 32" or larger someday... just in case, that's why I was looking at the 660. I was considering the 460, but I was thinking that with having the 361 it may not be enough of a step up in power, I do however plan on running one when I am at the dealer just to put that in perspective tho.

Cheers,
Dan

If you get the 660 have the dealer order the parts & install the HO oil pump upgrade that way you'll be all set for the 32".

Back