Question for porters or seasoned chainsaw mechanics.....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kctree

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
We have a Johny 2159 that was ported by I believe T4driller, it has been an awesome saw and has been ran a lot the last 3-4 years in our tree business. A couple weeks ago I was running it and all the sudden it started making a funny sound/not running right, and died. I could not re start it. Next day I was able to start it and it ran, still sounding funny, for maybe 15seconds then died and could not restart. Took it to our local saw shop. Stopped in there Monday and they had it all apart. Said everything looks fine, it has compression, fuel system is working fine, piston looks great, but can't get any spark. They pulled the flywheel, which he said was nice and snug and had to be kind of pried off. But the key is either worn out toward the tip or has been modified. He knows the saw is ported. He said he's wondering if the porter modified that key to change the timing?? If that is the case he wants to try a coil and see if that does it. If the key is worn and not modified, he's thinking maybe need a new flywheel. I have always seen in the ported saw adds "advanced the timing", but never knew exactly what that meant. Any thoughts on this would be much appreciated, as we really love the saw, I'd put it up against a stock 70cc saw any time. Thanks for any knowledge in advance! I haven't posted much on here, but I read almost daily.

Yeah, sounds like the timing was advanced. Husky coils are funny, I had one that would make the saw run like **** half the time (smoke, stumbling, etc) and the rest of the time it'd run fine. I thought it was an air leak until the saw just flat out wouldn't start one day. Make sure you get an oem black unlimited coil for it, I'm guessing the blue limited ones wouldn't work well with that saw.

We were working nearby his shop today, so I stopped in. He received the new coil today and I was hopeful he got the black one. He said the black coil was on it, so that is what he ordered. Just crossing my fingers that the coil does the trick. Thanks for the replies, I will let you know what the outcome is! I've also got a Rattler ported 346xp on my work bench, got it from a guy on here last fall. Never really did run right. It's a nice light saw, and gutsy when it's running lol. Had saw shop try tuning it twice. It'll cold start nice and idle really nice, run good till you get it hot, then it doesn't want to idle. Once it's good and hot if you let off it'll just die down unless you give it some more throttle. Any ideas on that one? Have a ported 5105 carl miller did we've had for 4 or 5 years and it has been stellar. Awesome saw, it just keeps on going.

Stopped at saw shop again tuesday. Coil did not do the trick on the 2159. He had the carb out and he found a leak in it when he pressurized it. So he's got a new carb ordered. Hope that does it, going to be over $300 deep into a $500 saw. On the 346xp, I called Rattler and talked with him, really nice helpful guy! I put a coil in it and that seemed to do the trick.

Latest posts

Back