Question for the 1990's era Stihl experts

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jchipps

Arboristsite Member
Reaction score
Been looking at some 021's on ebay, and I've noticed some of them have the decal which shows the (H) and (L) for the carburetor adjustment screws, but some of them only show the (L) and it looks from the pics that the hole for the (H) is either not there or perhaps blocked off. Did Stihl at some point change the design on this model, and eliminate the (High) adjustment capability for some EPA crap or what?

not fan of 021, go with 023 or 025, better crank and less teething issues. Ms210 was a bit better.
021 models with high blocked off are I believe later epa or California versions ?

Thanks for all the replies!
I'm set on an older saw without all the bells and whistles and EPA crap.

If my research is correct, the 021, 023 and 025 all share the same basic chassis, the difference being cylinder displacement and HP?
Is that correct?

Are the weights of all 3 saws basically the same?

021 is 35cc 025 is 45cc don't recall what the 023 is for displacement but I wanna say 40cc give or take. I haven't had a 023 in my hands in quite some time. I see more 021 and 025 models. As far as physical appearance yes they're all the same, weight is pretty much the same as well.

Recently sold an 023 I had a couple years. It had the front chain adjuster unlike mine and the 025's i have had. It was a pleasant saw to use. Seems to me i remember some 023's and or ms230 with extra baffling in the muffler for noise reduction. My dad had and I myself an 021 and no complaints about either.

Thanks again for the replies and info.

I think any of those 3 models would fit the bill for what I'm looking for, and if they're all similar in weight, I'd likely prefer the additional power of the 025 since I'm accustomed to running more powerful saws.
I'm just getting older, (and weaker ;) ) tired of lugging my 272XP around when I'm just clearing brush and smaller trees on my property.
I borrowed an 021 from a friend to try, and really like that light weight for doing small jobs, and for a little saw, it does a dang good job.

Are parts still fairly easy to find for those models?

Latest posts

Back