Question for those in cold climates...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you all for the responses :cheers:

Sounds like a good winterizing would be our best option as a safegard. I'll check with the sellers because they haven't been living in the house for quite some time. It's possible they already have it winterized. All I know is a family member of theirs has been checking on it occasionally.

For the questions that were asked, the house is in Allegan on 6 wooded acres and uses a well. I do have my brother that lives within an hour or so and will be able to check on it every now and then, but certainly not daily. I'm currently tempted to take a quick trip back there soon after the house closes to oversee making sure the proper steps have been taken.

I just hope we're able to get back there sooner rather than later!! Having our first home and not being able to move right in is killing us! :dizzy: :chainsaw: :D

The short version is, my to be fiancee and I are closing on a house in Michigan in a few weeks. However, we won't be able to to live in it for prolly a few months while we tie up loose ends back out here in WA. It heats from propane by design but also comes with fireplaces with inserts upstairs and downstairs and has a wood burner plumbed in near the propane burner that can heat the house. Our goal is to heat predominantly with wood once we're living there, but in the meantime will need to keep the house heated off propane to keep the pipes from freezing.

So here's my question. For those of you who heat with wood and happen to leave for let's say a long trip, or maybe those of you who have cabins that you're not living at full time... What temperature do you set your thermostats for (assuming you have another way of heating) to avoid causing problems with frozen pipes?

40? 45? 50? 55? Obviously MI can be pretty cold this time of year and we don't want any problems with the house while we're across the country.

:cheers:[/QUOTE

i would say it depends on the house. have a bed room that is as far away from my insert as you can get so if i keep that room at 50 the badai drain in the bathroom off that room will freeze if it gets really cold outside. the reason for this is the drain is in an outside wall and i have a garage underneath. if you are planing in heating with wood i would invest in a splitter and good chainsaw. i bought a cheap chainsaw first and did nothing but get mad at it. I than want and bought a husky 359..much much better. I would also try to find yourself a wood guy willing to drop off wood. Buying it split and delivered has become fairly expensive now that everyone seems to be burning wood.

if you are planing in heating with wood i would invest in a splitter and good chainsaw. i bought a cheap chainsaw first and did nothing but get mad at it. I than want and bought a husky 359..much much better. I would also try to find yourself a wood guy willing to drop off wood. Buying it split and delivered has become fairly expensive now that everyone seems to be burning wood.

I should be covered in the chainsaw dept for now. None of the trees on the property should cause much of a problem for the 046. There are a number of trees we want to take down on the prop to make room for other outbuildings and such, so I should be good for wood next season and beyond for a few years at least. I will need to find other places to harvest wood eventually though.

Prolly will need some seasoned wood delivered right off the bat since anything I cut/buck will still be green.

All part of the fun :clap:

Al these are great replys.
I noticed that no one said any thing about what to do with the washing machine.

BTW I sell wood. ;)
pending what area you are moving to.

I just hope we're able to get back there sooner rather than later!! Having our first home and not being able to move right in is killing us!

And best of luck with the new house and the move, I know the frustrations. Let us see some pics when you get there.

And best of luck with the new house and the move, I know the frustrations. Let us see some pics when you get there.

Have a few from when we first saw it during a whirlwind house hunting trip back in October...

DSC01135.jpg

DSC01136.jpg

DSC01139.jpg

DSC01146.jpg

DSC01151.jpg

DSC01153.jpg

DSC01155.jpg

DSC01190.jpg

Can't come too soon!!!

Very nice! You'll want the wood heat for them high ceilings, or at least paint the Sheik of Oman or something up there, so when you look up you can see where your money's going.

Good-looking woods, too.

I grew up north of Allegan and lived there untill a year ago. The Allegan state game area should be close by. Check with the DNR as you used to be able to purchase firewood permits for cutting in the state game area. Nice house and a good area to live.

Very nice! You'll want the wood heat for them high ceilings, or at least paint the Sheik of Oman or something up there, so when you look up you can see where your money's going.

Good-looking woods, too.

:laugh::laugh::laugh: No kidding! It does have a really open feel with the ceilings. Christmas tree for next year should be interesting :D

I grew up north of Allegan and lived there untill a year ago. The Allegan state game area should be close by. Check with the DNR as you used to be able to purchase firewood permits for cutting in the state game area. Nice house and a good area to live.

The Allegan Game Forest is a 1/4 mile away :clap: I'll definitely look into firewood permits there. I had checked on the MI DNR website and saw that "family use" permits could be purchased for $20ish and would allow 4-5 cords a year for personal home heating. I just didn't get in depth as to where that could be taken from.

Thanks!! We're definitely looking forward to it!

Latest posts

Back