Question for those who have built their own log splitter with lift, valve layout?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave_dj1

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I want to use this valve Surplus Center - 2 SPOOL 25 GPM PRINCE LOG SPLITTER/LIFTER VALVE
has anyone used it and if so, what is the valve layout? Assuming levers up as shown, I will be standing on the left side of my beam facing the wedge. Will the first lever be for splitting and the farther lever for the lift?
Also since they say it will work for split and lift, is there any provision for slowing the lift down or will I still have to address that issue?
Thanks,
dave

I used the same valve for my splitter. The lever with the detent is the one you will want to use for the wedge. That would be the lever on the left, as it is in the picture, if it is like mine as I would assume it would be. I used a boom with tongs for my lift and put a needle valve in the extend hose so it would act more like a lift and less like a catapult. :msp_smile:

I want to use this valve Surplus Center - 2 SPOOL 25 GPM PRINCE LOG SPLITTER/LIFTER VALVE
has anyone used it and if so, what is the valve layout? Assuming levers up as shown, I will be standing on the left side of my beam facing the wedge. Will the first lever be for splitting and the farther lever for the lift?
Also since they say it will work for split and lift, is there any provision for slowing the lift down or will I still have to address that issue?
Thanks,
dave

That's how I have mine set up, on that valve only one has a detent which is the splitting side. I used a straight fitting on the lower port of the lift cylinder, brazed it shut and drilled a 1/16" hole in it to slow it down. You may even want to start out with a smaller drill size, then go bigger if you need to. I bent the split lever so it was more upright and not in line with the lift lever.

attachment.php

Thanks for the reply, now I have a question about the valve orientation as you have it shown (Blazin) . My splitter is set up similar to yours in that the log lift is on the same side, I was planning on standing on the opposite side to run the levers, someone else will be loading the lift.
If I turn my valve 180* from the way you have yours, that will put the split lever closer to me but will the detent still work (assuming the lever will be pulled back for retract) or will it be backwards?
thanks,
dave

Thanks for the reply, now I have a question about the valve orientation as you have it shown (Blazin) . My splitter is set up similar to yours in that the log lift is on the same side, I was planning on standing on the opposite side to run the levers, someone else will be loading the lift.
If I turn my valve 180* from the way you have yours, that will put the split lever closer to me but will the detent still work (assuming the lever will be pulled back for retract) or will it be backwards?
thanks,
dave

Yeah it'll be backwards. I was originally going to modify me levers so they curved over the valve, but it worked out that I didn't need to.

Back